• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CA DMV... goodluck! If you thought about AAA, do it now

KingOfTheHill

NAXJA Forum User
because the regular DMV is HORRIBLE... i was there today and the line was out the door... out of 25 windows there were 5 people working the counters and 1 doing drivers testing...

i was shocked that the budget cuts hit them so hard... everybody was mad there, 2 chp's were there just to keep people in order (people fighting in line about cutting and little kid crap like that)...

anyhow... today was make or break for me to get AAA so i can use their DMV.... it was a madhouse in newhall today..

anyhow... if your planing a trip, look into AAA.

Just a heads up

JOe

xbillions on AAA. in and out in 20 minutes, even changing my jeep over from ohio plates to CA when i moved back out here, out of state vehicle inspection and all. they can do pretty much anything the DMV can do, and if you go offroad alot AAA WILL save your ass (or a friends) someday.

Call me a dick but SCREW THE DMV WORKERS. If they don't like minimum wage GET A TALENT. They have ALWAYS been slow, unmotivated asshats. Just because they work for the government doesn't entitle them to premium pay. This is the problem with america these days EVERYONE has this "right to entitlement" problem. NO you don't need to be in the fast lane when you just got on the freeway, you aren't entitled to a big house on the hill or a album deal!!!!! GET A JOB, GET A SKILL!!!!

Sorry for the rant. haha

silverslk said:
Call me a dick but SCREW THE DMV WORKERS. If they don't like minimum wage GET A TALENT. They have ALWAYS been slow, unmotivated asshats. Just because they work for the government doesn't entitle them to premium pay. This is the problem with america these days EVERYONE has this "right to entitlement" problem. NO you don't need to be in the fast lane when you just got on the freeway, you aren't entitled to a big house on the hill or a album deal!!!!! GET A JOB, GET A SKILL!!!!

Sorry for the rant. haha

Not to be a ball buster or anything, but DMV workers just took a 50% cut to receive minimum wage. So at full salary they're only making about 26k a year. I don't know what the cost of living is where you live, but here in San Diego the latest poll suggested a standard cost of living at 47k annually. The guys were far from making a premium wage. Now they can't even make their rent and will be on welfare inside of two months.

And as for the skill thing, well hey, I have a master's degree and a technical skill, but I also work for UCSD which is a state agency, and we too are in threat of being cut to minimum wage and losing all of our part time and contract workers. Sure, I could toss them the bird, and walk the hell out....give up my pension, my retirement, my benefits...and if they do impose minimum wage I will have to...probably go back to waiting tables because the job market already sux...but anyway you cut it, I get screwed.

And I'm not looking for a big house on a hill or a record deal....I just want to pay my bills. =(

Everyone always complains about the DMV in SoCal, but everytime ive gone ive NEVER had a problem.

Yeah its not the fastest but its not all day long either. I just make an appointment, get there early, check in, and everything is golden and good to go.

SanDiegoXJ said:
Not to be a ball buster or anything, but DMV workers just took a 50% cut to receive minimum wage. So at full salary they're only making about 26k a year. I don't know what the cost of living is where you live, but here in San Diego the latest poll suggested a standard cost of living at 47k annually. The guys were far from making a premium wage. Now they can't even make their rent and will be on welfare inside of two months.

And as for the skill thing, well hey, I have a master's degree and a technical skill, but I also work for UCSD which is a state agency, and we too are in threat of being cut to minimum wage and losing all of our part time and contract workers. Sure, I could toss them the bird, and walk the hell out....give up my pension, my retirement, my benefits...and if they do impose minimum wage I will have to...probably go back to waiting tables because the job market already sux...but anyway you cut it, I get screwed.

And I'm not looking for a big house on a hill or a record deal....I just want to pay my bills. =(

47K I am sure is correct, but cost of living is based on two people.

I thaught it was all non-union state employees that get the cut?
BTW, they will be getting all earned back pay as soon as the state comes up with a budget.

In-N-Out has starting pay at over $10 per hour...

:D

SanDiegoXJ said:

I didn't group ALL government employees in that. You having a masters means you must be doing something (most likely) harder or more technical than the normal "burger flipper" and should be paid accordingly. Lets look at what I said.....DMV workers.......not any harder than almost any minimum wage job so, at a 50% cut they were getting paid $16-17/hr for what? If you sit and look around while you are at the DMV, if it was NOT a government agency (that you HAVE to deal with) they would be bankrupt because no one would go there. They would go somewhere that has a better organized and staffed group. How can any business expect to stay in business by having its customers wait so long, sometimes 2 hours or more, to get served? Would you go to a restaurant that made you wait HOURS at anytime of the day, not just peak hours?

Back to you, hopefully you will not be affected by whats going on but I feel no pity for non skilled labor who demand a wage approaching educated persons wages just for "standard of living" or whatever. If people don't like their wage, look for another job or get a more useful skill/trade that does pay better. This is AMERICA you aren't assigned a job.

KingOfTheHill said:
because the regular DMV is HORRIBLE... i was there today and the line was out the door... out of 25 windows there were 5 people working the counters and 1 doing drivers testing...

i was shocked that the budget cuts hit them so hard... everybody was mad there, 2 chp's were there just to keep people in order (people fighting in line about cutting and little kid crap like that)...

anyhow... today was make or break for me to get AAA so i can use their DMV.... it was a madhouse in newhall today..

anyhow... if your planing a trip, look into AAA.

Just a heads up

JOe

Sshhh!! :shhh: :shhh:

I've been going to AAA ever since I could drive if I can help it. Don't give away the secret, then there'll be a huge line at AAA.

Although for some reason I still to go to the DMV. I think it's because some things the AAA can't do.

mikedashg said:
I think it's because some things the AAA can't do.
DL related items.

mikedashg said:
That's it. The last times or two I needed DMV services it was for DL.
I was @ AAA today paying registration, Mon. I need to do my DL, fun.

silverslk said:
I didn't group ALL government employees in that. You having a masters means you must be doing something (most likely) harder or more technical than the normal "burger flipper" and should be paid accordingly. Lets look at what I said.....DMV workers.......not any harder than almost any minimum wage job so, at a 50% cut they were getting paid $16-17/hr for what? If you sit and look around while you are at the DMV, if it was NOT a government agency (that you HAVE to deal with) they would be bankrupt because no one would go there. They would go somewhere that has a better organized and staffed group. How can any business expect to stay in business by having its customers wait so long, sometimes 2 hours or more, to get served? Would you go to a restaurant that made you wait HOURS at anytime of the day, not just peak hours?

Back to you, hopefully you will not be affected by whats going on but I feel no pity for non skilled labor who demand a wage approaching educated persons wages just for "standard of living" or whatever. If people don't like their wage, look for another job or get a more useful skill/trade that does pay better. This is AMERICA you aren't assigned a job.

I couldn't agree more. I have an M.D. and still don't have a "house on the hill" etc, etc...and always shake my head when people with barely a high school education, and unskilled-laborers complain about their pay. Like Chris Rock said; "maybe, juuuust maybe, if they didn't spend all their money on RIMS..." These are the same douchebags that were cutting class, taking 9th grade math (pre-algebra) in 12th grade (when I was taking Calculus) etc...and now we're supposed to give a F___ they can't pay their rent? I was living in New York City about 3 years ago during the last transportation workers strike. The city bus drivers/subway operators wanted something like a %50 pay raise over 3 years....WTF? They were already making close to 50k per year!!! Anyway, yeah, the DMV sucks arse. :smsoap:

ScottyDog said:
Its our Terminator Governor.... Laid off all the poor part time folks that work at the DMV... And all the full timers are getting kicked in the NADS with minimum wage...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20080730-1257-protests.html

And I always thought all the State/Govt jobs were always the safest to have... Yikes.

I don't wish any ill will or bad fortune on anybody, however it is refreshing in a way to see that the goverenor isn't afraid to impact some government workers like private sector workers are. I don't think government jobs should be so safe and secure, many private sector jobs aren't that way. The real world is that there are ups and downs, good times and bad times, government shouldn't be immune to that.

Oh, and I'm a AAA member. :D

Back