• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle

nicksjeep

NAXJA Forum User
i'm a newb at this game so give me a break. i picked up a d44 rear that i am planing on building up. it came of an 87 xj and is going on my 87xj since i am going to put money in this axle what would be the best for the front i know i am not staying with a d30. but i dont know hat to go with and i do not want to dump to much money in it?

a high pinion Dana 30 is not a bad axle...you're better off keeping it and putting your money into armor/rear locker/regearing them, etc... (Unless you're planning on going larger than 35" tires any time soon)

x2 The stock Dana 30 has a good rep for anything up to moderate. Unless you're going to try some desert racing moves.

Your only weak point is the stock U-Joints are kinda small. But, get your hands on a Pass side outer axle for a 94 - 95 YJ with ABS. It had the Disco front axle and the larger 297 U-Joint. Any Driver later drivers side axle shaft will work.

Your other option is put in a one piece shaft and do away with the disco all together. But you'll need a seal.

Back