• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 problem

BubaXj89

NAXJA Forum User
I was with a group of my friends going up a hill and I got stuck but the strange part was that my one friend said that my front wheels were not turning but I was in 4 high and then I went to 4 low but it was not going any where I was just burning rubber in the rear and it still said that I was in 4 part time so what do you think it could be ?

4x4 shift linkage worn or out of adjustment,apparently a common problem. I just finished of my 2nd t/case due to the linkage. search here for adjusting the linkage

BubaXj89 said:
I was with a group of my friends going up a hill and I got stuck but the strange part was that my one friend said that my front wheels were not turning but I was in 4 high and then I went to 4 low but it was not going any where I was just burning rubber in the rear and it still said that I was in 4 part time so what do you think it could be ?

I'm assuming no noise from the front drivers side? I recently replaced the drive change in my 242. 4x4 didn't have a hope of working prior to replacing that stretched chain.

Before looking at the shift linkage, go and try the hill again, but engage 4LO BEFORE the hill. Sometimes on inclines like that, the xfer case takes awhile to engage the 4WD. I had the same thing happen to me until in engaged 4LO before the obstacle. Hope you find a a fix

Assuming you have an NP231, the "Part-Time" will be on whether you are in 4Hi or 4Lo because in either case it is technically still part time, at least that is how my 91 is.

As for the lack of front axle engagement, my bet is a vacuum leak to the front axle disconnect which is a common problem and left me stuck in the snow twice. In a parking spot or a driveway, engage 4wd and move it enough that it should engage (5-10ft) then with proper precautions in place, climb under the Jeep and see if the front drive-shaft spins by hand. If it spins then it is probably your linkage, but if it does not then the problem is most likely in the axle, and as I said, most likely the disconnect due to a leak in the vacuum system.

Assuming it is a vacuum leak, I'm not sure the best way to actually find it because it really only takes a small leak to cause the problem. The easiest solution is to buy or build a Posi-Lok cable system and get rid of the vacuum disconnect all together.

ADVNTURR said:
As for the lack of front axle engagement, my bet is a vacuum leak to the front axle disconnect
His light on the dash is "ON".
Is the switch for that light not in the front axle on a 89? (it was on my 91)
Would it stay off if the disconnect is not working due to a vacuum leak?
Had a problem with my 91 not going in 4wd due to vacuum or bad shift motor and the light would NOT come on.
Shimmed the shift fork to engage the axles... no more problem.

sweet I will look into some of those ideas thank you
But also I did not get a chance to put this in but I put it up on jack stands and put it in 4 high and low the wheels were not moving but the front drive shaft was spinning could that mean that the axle shaft it self is broken or stripped ?

But also I did not get a chance to put this in but I put it up on jack stands and put it in 4 high and low the wheels were not moving but the front drive shaft was spinning could that mean that the axle shaft it self is broken or stripped ?

BubaXj89 said:

Does the front drive shaft turn when you turn the front wheels?

Assuming this is on a 1989 XJ, doesn't that year have a vacumn line that enagages the front diff?

drifto77 said:
His light on the dash is "ON".
Is the switch for that light not in the front axle on a 89? (it was on my 91)
Would it stay off if the disconnect is not working due to a vacuum leak?
Had a problem with my 91 not going in 4wd due to vacuum or bad shift motor and the light would NOT come on.
Shimmed the shift fork to engage the axles... no more problem.

Yes the switch is located at the end of the shaft the fork rides on in the disconnect housing. However, if the shift fork itself is broken (they're REALLY fragile aluminum) then the shaft will shift over and turn on the light, but the fork will not hold the collar over to engage the outer shaft.

Back