• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Decided to go 3-D

Fullsizexj

NAXJA Forum User
With all the sanctioning bodies deciding to go 3-D on the bodies now, I decided to go ahead and give it a shot, here is a pic of how it was before
P1010009.JPG

I got hold of some fiberglass stock style fenders, since I had already made the lower body line on the boatside originally I had to extend the fender length, cut the top off where the tube was and extend the rea section of the fender down also, here is how it came out
3dbodystyle%20001rs.jpg

and then a couple of it mounted also
3dbodystyle%20003rs.jpg

3dbodystyle%20004rs.jpg

Next is to work on the backend, I already have a pretty good idea of how I am gonna do it, just have to get started is all

Looks great! Where did you get those fiber fenders?

here was the first step, had to cut the top off so that it would fit under the tube ans still line up
3dbodystyle%20006rs.jpg

and then I had to extend the rear edge about 5" to work with the existing tube and mounting tabs
3dbodystyle%20005rs.jpg

and then I had to cut off the lower body line on the rear of the fender and form that to work into the curve of the flare

They are going to require this?

Whats the point?

they seem to think that like NASCAR it will atrack the auto Mfg to start sponsoring the events, personally I do not think that will happen, how are ya gonna pack all the rednecks into grandstands and serve them beer all day out in the rocks

I started working on the rear half today, picked up a rear hatch for free at the local jeep graveyard because it was broken where the window would mount and they had it loaded on the truck for the dump run. I have been chopping it up and glassing it, once it sets up I will get some picks of how it is coming so far.

here is the hatch cut down along with what I cut out of it
3dbodystyle%20009rs.jpg

and then a rough fitting to see what I will also need to do
3dbodystyle%20010rs.jpg

well took another 4.5" out of the width, got it narrowed down as far as I can go, and still be able to make the tail lights work, I am gonna have to twist them out a little to make the side body panels look right but not so much that it will look wrong, I have also figured out how I am gonna finish out the body on the lower edges of the tail lights and the mounting, here is the pic of the final width of the rear hatch skin
3dbodystylers.jpg

Damn dude, you do some pro-looking work...

Thanks, but I think I am getting a little too much practice at it lately, been out working on the fiberglass frameing for the tail lights now, I think it is gonna look pretty decent when I get it finished. I have it all figured out for how to tie in the side panel now so pretty soon I can start on that, just gotta finish up some more glass work first is all

Fullsizexj said:
I have it all figured out for how to tie in the side panel now so pretty soon I can start on...
... some place to put the groceries.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
:D

Just using existing peices I cut from the original hatch and glassing them together where they join together

Back