• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj won't start!!!!!!!!!

cc chasse

NAXJA Forum User
I came home with my 2000 XJ running fine. went out in the morning and it turns over but won't start and the fuel gauge reads empty.
I know I have gas in the tank but I added some just incase someone stole it. I thought it might be the fuel pump since I can't hear it running when I turn the key on so I swaped the relay to see if it was bad still nothing. I removed the relay and jumpered it and the pump runs. But It still won't start. It doesn't apear to be getting spark. I'm thinking computer but don't have a scanner to confirm. Does anyone have any suggestions.

check the engine control fuse...one my 95 the NSS shorted out and blew the engine control fuse and showed the same symptoms (no fuel pump power and it would turn over but not start)

I checked all fuses in the psc with a meter and didn't find any that were bad. I did find a 25 amp fuse that was bad in the kick panel fuse block. I not sure what it was for but I replaced it and it didn't blow again. but it didn't resolve the issue. still looking

The NSS is your Neutral Safety Switch. If you have an auto, try shifting into neutral and see if it starts.

You might also check your Cranshaft Position Sensor (CPS). You can search the forum and finds lots of stuff on it.

langer1 said:
The NSS would not allow it to turn over, but op says in cranks but no start.

Whoops, musta missed that in his original post.

In thinking about it the no bus happened when I unplugged the plug at the fuel tank. I've now checked all the fuses and not found any more blown. Things are starting to look grim. Does anyone know what the relays located behind the kick panel next to the fuse block are?

cc chasse said:
In thinking about it the no bus happened when I unplugged the plug at the fuel tank. I've now checked all the fuses and not found any more blown. Things are starting to look grim. Does anyone know what the relays located behind the kick panel next to the fuse block are?

Things like flasher, Headlight timer, washer timer.
You are testing the fuses under the hood right?

Yes, I removed and inspected and tested all fuses in the PDC with a test light. I'm a little confused would a bad CPS stop the fuel pump and spark.

Yes. Does your pump run now for a few seconds when you first turn on the key?

cc chasse said:
Yes, I removed and inspected and tested all fuses in the PDC with a test light. I'm a little confused would a bad CPS stop the fuel pump and spark.

I would say spark yes fuel pump no, it would also not cause a "No Buss" swap the relays around and see if the ECU fires up. The no buss means the ECU is not running it can be the ASD relay until you get the ECU running not much else will work either, you can't even get codes.
It's very unusually that a ECU fails to the point it don't even run
One other thing, before the ECU turns on it does a self test, if a short on one if the outputs wires is detected it don't start to protect the ECU, so check the wires around the exaust header for burns or shorts.

Last edited:
John,
I hooked up the reader and did not even get any code! Is there a way to test the ASD relay none of the other ones seem to be the same size to swap. Thanks for the advice I was calling the boneyards looking for a computer.

The computer will need to be dealer installed, it must be re-programed to match your vin code and Odometer.
A bad computer will throw a bad computer code "don't know the number", a computer that has no power won't throw any codes.

Did ANYONE tell this guy to check the CPS??

Crankshaft position sensor, on the exhaust side of the bell housing with a wire that runs up to a connector near the back of the intake manifold.

Rocketman said:
Did ANYONE tell this guy to check the CPS??

Crankshaft position sensor, on the exhaust side of the bell housing with a wire that runs up to a connector near the back of the intake manifold.

He was told to look there for a short but a bad CPS will not cause a NO BUSS fault

Back