• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tierod removal tricks anybody have any?

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
Can't get mine off, tried hitting the knuckle with a hammer, tried unscrewing the nut almost all the way and hitting it with a hammer, and with nuts removed I tried turning the sterring wheel back and forth. Still no luck any ideas?

MoparManiac said:
pickle fork and BFH...but say goodbye to your grease boots.

I don't have one :gag:

do you want to keep the tie rod, or is it garbage? i just replaced mine with a v8 zj tie-rod, and all it took to get the old one out was continuous wacks with a hammer on the top of the bolt and a little spray lube. im sure it mushroomed, but they did eventually pop off.

biztyke said:
do you want to keep the tie rod, or is it garbage? i just replaced mine with a v8 zj tie-rod, and all it took to get the old one out was continuous wacks with a hammer on the top of the bolt and a little spray lube. im sure it mushroomed, but they did eventually pop off.

I'm keeping it, I'm just way toe out right now and need to adjust it.

ya, jack up the front and let the axle go to full droop, it should almost fal out

Since you say you don't have a dust boot on it then I'm assuming that it's either very old or you tore it up trying to remove it already. If you're replacing the TRE due to that or it being worn out. Loosen the nut until it's flush with the top of the bolt and throw some heat to it, after it's heated up some give it a good hard hit with a hammer and that should dislodge it.

dave92cherokee said:
Since you say you don't have a dust boot on it then I'm assuming that it's either very old or you tore it up trying to remove it already. If you're replacing the TRE due to that or it being worn out. Loosen the nut until it's flush with the top of the bolt and throw some heat to it, after it's heated up some give it a good hard hit with a hammer and that should dislodge it.

I have dust boots just not a pickle fork.
I'm going to try turning the tierod but I don't know if that will work because it's a Rustys I don't remember if it uses the same threaded TREs as a stock tierod.

I just removed my tie rod ends from the steering knuckles this past weekend to install JKS adjustable front spacers. I used a pickle fork when pounding reasonably hard on the threaded stub failed me. The fork cost me $10 at the parts store. Destroyed the boots, naturally, and am waiting for new ones to arrive, but otherwise it worked well.

Does anyone have a good method for reinserting the TRE's back into the steering knuckles? I tried to thread the castle nuts back on to draw them back up into position but the nut/bolt combo just spins after a certain point, which makes sense considering there's nothing preventing the actual joint from rotating in place. I'm thinking of pressing them back in place with a c-clamp and a couple of sockets. Anyone care to comment on that?

--wavingpine

I'll put that idea to good use--thanks CC!

pitman arm puller (but you may dimple the ends)

works good for steering stabilizers too.

just get it nice and tight, then smack the knuckle to get it to pop off.

Last edited:
Back