• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smittybilt Trail Jack

socal billl

NAXJA Forum User
Just a heads up to anyone that has one or is thinking about getting one-
After having the jack DROP the vehicle 2 out of the 3 times I'ved used it,I called the store that sold it to me. The salesman told me they had been getting returns on the jack,and there is a problem with the pins.The manufacture is aware of the problem and is addressing it.
The jack lifted fine,but when letting it down it would go into "freefall".
I'll be putting my return money in a Hi-Lift........

i thought i read somewhere they were going out of buisness? ive seen a couple warehouse auctions on thier products come up in the past couple years... auctioning off entire warehouses full of unsold product.

Clean-RC said:
A high lift cause me to get a root canal... I will never use one of those POS ever again... I own an ARB Bushranger.. Safer than a high lift or nock off crap...
you do realize :farmer: you are not supposed to chew on them right

My Real hilift does the same thing on occassion, but it seems to be getting better. The first thre times I used it it freefell on me. The last two times it worked perfect.

jeeperjohn said:
No surprise there. I have been less than impressed with 4 wheel parts.
then you must be shopping at the wrong 4wp. That was me on the onther end of socal bill's phone call.

Last edited:
You can always upgrade the trail jack with the Hi-lift replacement pins(part#H/L FK-1 $15.99)and have a stronger set-up. It's so easy to bitch after the fact, you gotta know going into a purcahse that is significantly cheaper than the brand name hi-lift that it just might not be up to the same strength as the more expensive version. You are still getting a wider base and a taller jack than the standard 48" and yet not as tall as the 60". I can't help but laugh, Typical Cherokee owner, we always try to get something for nothing. :spin1:

Guess thats why XJ's are such a cult classic :cheers: fk-1

jeff411sk8 said:
then you must be shopping at the wrong 4wp.
That may well be so. I have been given the wrong parts 3 times at my local store. The guys there are great guys but I feel I can't be sure I will get the right stuff from them. Also, I believe the quality of the products from the companies owned by 4WP is inferior being that they are sourced from China. I'm not just saying that because the are from China but because the finish and workmanship, espscially on things like clevises is poor. Some of the parts available in the store look like they were made by unskilled workers who have no idea about how to properly make parts. Perhaps you can share this perspective with the leadership at 4WP and they can find ways to regain the confidence of their more discerning customers.

I can see what you mean about the china made stuff. As for the company itself, i feel, makes the choice to sell both high and low quality products to give the customer (you) the choice to spend that extra dime. The term "you get what you pay for" rings in my head all the time. I do my best to talk who ever im helping into somthing that is alittle extra, so i know they are taken care of while on the trail. This is a good thread and i think its a good eye opener. Like i told socal bill, he can come in and i have no problem giving him store credit for the H/L brand because the smittybuilt is defective. If anybody has any questions about 4WP or any of the products we sell, please PM me and ask away.

Jeff Doherty
4WP Laguna Hills

Hey Jeff, Props for the way you handled this. I think you have been very professional in every aspect from the sale, to the return as well as the handling of this thread. I would not hesitate to purchase from you.

silverslk said:
Hey Jeff, Props for the way you handled this. I think you have been very professional in every aspect from the sale, to the return as well as the handling of this thread. I would not hesitate to purchase from you.
Yeah-Andy nailed it.Thanks Jeff-

Back