• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

why would this fuse blow

iroll919

NAXJA Forum User
we went wheeling this week and we were going up a pretty steep curvy washboard road to get to the trail and my little brothers jeep just died and it didnt take us long to figure out it was the fuel pump not working

when i asked him what happened he said he was trying to go up in second but he needed to downshift and when he shifted back into 1st it just died his jeep is a 99 5spd by the way

anyways we found the fuse that is connected to the fuel pump to be blown and i was wondering if anybody had a reason why this would happen

thanks

Is anything else tapped into the that line lamps, amps etc? May be an over load.
Check for bare wires. If he didn't get it new. Someone may have installed a cutout switch to the fuel pump That is shorting out. Fixed one like that last year.
Run a load test on the pump, replace as needed. Generally they run at half the amp of the OEM fuse. But best to look it up.

igotanxj said:
Its most likely a wire rubbing up against the body somewhere. Maybe the washboard road shook it enough to make it touch. The only way fuses blow is from overload or short to ground.

x2 prob when he shifted down the added flex in the drivetrain pinched or smashed a wire that after the load was removed wasnt grounded anymore hows his motor and tranny mounts

check your rear o2 sensor wire I got mine wrapped in the drive shaft and it shorted out a 20A fuse in the fuse block under the hood I dont know if its the fuel pump fuse or not.

Back