• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flowmaster Super 40 replacing Borla

razor2006

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a Borla cat back exhaust on my 2000 XJ Sport about 6 months ago. I want to replace the Borla muffler in my setup with a FM Super 40. However, I want to keep my Borla muffler, so I can switch between the two if I so choose.

Now, my Borla system consists of (in order from cat back): flange, band clamp (2 1/4") attaching short flanged piece to muffler, muffler (inlet center, outlet offset), band clamp (2") attaching muffler to tail pipe, tail pipe, welded on tip.

I want to keep everything the same in the system except the muffler. If I get a FM Super 40 with 2 1/4" ins and outs, inlet center, outlet offset, I understand I will need to put a reducer on the outlet so the band clamp will fit to attach the tailpipe.

I was looking at some reducers, and all the 2 1/4" to 2" reducers I see are 4" long. Will this cause me any problems? I really don't want to cut my tailpipe down since I want to keep my interchangability between my Borla and FM.

I see that Dynomax makes reducing bushings which apparently go inside your pipe and reduces the size, but the biggest I see is 2 1/8" OD to 2" ID. Now, considering that the bushing would be going inside of the outlet on the muffler, would the 2 1/8" OD reducing bushing fit snugly, or would it be loose with 2 1/4" ins and outs on the muffler? Or should I stay away from the reducing bushings all together? The reducing bushings don't add length, the reducer will add 4".

If an extra 4" won't be an issue with the pipe's bend to go over the axle, I'll get the reducer, however I fear that I may have to cut the tailpipe down to accomodate the extra 4" on there.

I'm no exhaust afficianado, but I would think that some of the outlet on the muffler would be buried inside the reducer (1 1/2" prolly), and some on the outlet on the reducer.

The tailpipe slides onto the Borla muffler a pretty good ways on the outlet so I'm not sure if it will all fit together right or not. Any help on how to make this work with this setup? This is the setup I want, I just don't know how to make it possible.

why do you want to interchange mufflers?

what i would do, is buy a new tailpipe and install that to the new FM muffler. than when you want to swap, you swap mufflers and tailpipes. a new tailpipe is under $20.

My Borla sounds okay, but at times its a little more ricer sounding than I care to have it sounding. FM Super 40 will sound a bit more throaty, more for what I want to hear coming from the XJ.

The reason I want interchangability is so that I can switch back and forth if I don't want the loudness of the FM (i.e. long highway trip).

Didn't consider the new tailpipe option, but then again I enjoy my stainless Borla tailpipe quite a bit, thats probably why.

Any suggestions on where to buy another tailpipe, and band clamp I'd need to attach it to the FM?

Last edited:
razor2006 said:
My Borla sounds okay, but at times its a little more ricer sounding than I care to have it sounding. FM Super 40 will sound a bit more throaty, more for what I want to hear coming from the XJ.

The reason I want interchangability is so that I can switch back and forth if I don't want the loudness of the FM (i.e. long highway trip).

Didn't consider the new tailpipe option, but then again I enjoy my stainless Borla tailpipe quite a bit, thats probably why.

Any suggestions on where to buy another tailpipe, and band clamp I'd need to attach it to the FM?

i took the FM 40 off my 89 because i could not stand the droning. i like the sound of the FM 40 during acceleration and WOT on a v8, but for a daily driver, the droning gives me a headache. plus i didnt like how it sounded on the 4.0 I6 except at WOT. it was just missing something.........2 more cylinders and dual exhaust!

most auto parts stores, such as napa, have or can order you a new tailpipe. you may also be able to find a tailpipe online. i usually get the part number online and buy it locally.

Yeah good point on the missing 2 cyls and dual exhaust. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do on it. Before I spend any money on this idea, IPF H4 head lamps, and Monroe Reflex shocks are going on the XJ.

Your nuts!!! Keep the Borla....

I guess mine is a few years old and some of the packing is gone (if there was any), it sounds fine to me. Throaty and mellow...

Just a matter of personal preference. My Borla sounds good, don't get me wrong, but I enjoy the sound of the FM Super 40 more. :flipoff:

don't waste your money spend it on something usefull

Back