• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What can I do about my ticket?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So I was driving down the the community college after school in Edmonds, and after I got off the highway there's a stop sign before the road...I "stopped" (Basically stopped quick, then went) and a cop came out of no where (it seemed) on a motor cycle and waited till the next light turned green, then he pulled me over and told me I failed to stop. I got a ticket for some $100 odd dollars.

What can I do about the ticket?

I'm 17, and have had my liscence for about 9 months, and I was in an accident (not my fault) in my first month of having my liscence (didn't get a ticket, inssurance didnt go up).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

P.S. Yes, I was driving my Jeep. I suppose I could say since I just bought the car the brakes need some work (new pads going on tomaro) but I dont know. And I SWEAR I stopped.

take it to court. most of the times the cops are too busy to go to court for a petty stop violation. if he doesnt show up, he has nothing to say to the judge so you get to tell your storY AND YOU WIN..

Smittty9785 said:
take it to court. most of the times the cops are too busy to go to court for a petty stop violation. if he doesnt show up, he has nothing to say to the judge so you get to tell your storY AND YOU WIN..

You really think so? :)

You probably won't get it totally taken away, but you can get it reduced.

When I was in highschool I (along with 3 other cars) got a bs ticket for crossing a double yellow line by about 6 inches to pass some cars so that we could turn left. A cop was waiting around the corner and saw us and wrote us all up.

Was I wrong? Yes, but I went to court and the judge reduced it to $40. Go to court, dress nice, be polite and you will probably get it knocked down.

Option 2 is deferment. This will take the ticket totally away, but if you get another ticket within one year from the time of the first ticket both tickets come back. You also only get one chance to defer a ticket every 5 years I believe.

For a ticket like this, I wouldn't waste your deferment. Just go to court and fight it, since your a kid chances are you will get another ticket in a year.

Oh and what court district are you in for edmonds? Is it Shorline?

-Alex

IF the cop says you didn't stop, and you say you THINK you stopped... you didn't stop. Man up, pay your ticket, or go to court and try to get it reduced and then move on.

J

ECKSJAY said:
You really think so? :)
happy to me for going 70 in a 65. so yea i think so.

Smittty9785 said:
happy to me for going 70 in a 65. so yea i think so.

It's not always the case, but yeah it happens. Some places schedule those tickets by those traffic officers for the same time block on the same days so they're present. For the most part it works like rebates: They do them in quantity and hope people pay them instead of fight. 30 tickets written with 28 paid means that the two dropped aren't that big of a deal. ;)

yea thats very true. Happens on occasion. I just got lucky he didnt show up. I was actually going like 78 in a 65 but he posted me for 70, thats the only reason i went to fight it. everyone goes 5 MPH over the speed limit, so i though it was a easy fight.

Welcome to my forte.
First
Experience. I have had 13 tickets on my record at the same time. I have been pulled over more times than I can count, but at last attempt it was 100+ times before I was 20. Yes. 100+ times.

I don't recommend this, but I suspended my license from being suspended by paying $5 more than the ticket was for. They can't proceed with the driving record paperwork until you cash the remaining balance check they return to you. They sent me three checks before they gave up and ran the paperwork through. Again, you are young and I REALLY don't recommend playing with legal loopholes for no damn reason.

*Yes I was young and dumb with way too big, red, loud and fast of a truck. Mostly young and dumb.*

Second
No offense smitty but you are WAY the hell off. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing to back up your advice.

Third
Here's what you do:
Show up at the offended police station. Ask for a copy of the report. The will ask for a written request which can be on a napkin or whatever is handy. They may also charge you a dollar or whatever for the clerks taking the time to complete said request. Next, read the report the officer completed and go from there. Nine times out of ten, the report will read (and this is no joke) "witnessed offender traveling an estimated 40 MPH without slowing down through stop sign located at blah blah blah." Literally, they are taught to make them as bulletproof and exaggerated as high school graduates can write without "lying." I hate to say it but some of mine have been flat out lies. It happens, so expect it. You are given three options with your ticket, (It's been a while, so I forget "Refusal" I didn't do it, "Mitigation" There were mitigating circumstances, and "guilty" Here's the check or money order.

If you choose court, you have until the court date to just proclaim your guilt and pay the ticket. I've done that before as well just because I didn't have the money within the 14 days. That is legit. Anyways, 99.99% of the time the judge will reduce the ticket just because you took the time to show up. Also, don't just show up to court with a story - THE JUDGE HAS THE REPORT - THE JUDGE HAS THE REPORT - I've seen it time and time again, the dude shows up with some ridiculous story, tells it to the judge and then the judge reads the police report aloud to everyone.

I wouldn't defer it just yet, you're young, god only knows when you're going to need it in the next seven years. (I think it's seven Alex)

One way or another, get the report before you make a decision.

mud1059 said:
Welcome to my forte.
First
Experience. I have had 13 tickets on my record at the same time. I have been pulled over more times than I can count, but at last attempt it was 100+ times before I was 20. Yes. 100+ times.

I don't recommend this, but I suspended my license from being suspended by paying $5 more than the ticket was for. They can't proceed with the driving record paperwork until you cash the remaining balance check they return to you. They sent me three checks before they gave up and ran the paperwork through. Again, you are young and I REALLY don't recommend playing with legal loopholes for no damn reason.

*Yes I was young and dumb with way too big, red, loud and fast of a truck. Mostly young and dumb.*

Second
No offense smitty but you are WAY the hell off. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing to back up your advice.

Third
Here's what you do:
Show up at the offended police station. Ask for a copy of the report. The will ask for a written request which can be on a napkin or whatever is handy. They may also charge you a dollar or whatever for the clerks taking the time to complete said request. Next, read the report the officer completed and go from there. Nine times out of ten, the report will read (and this is no joke) "witnessed offender traveling an estimated 40 MPH without slowing down through stop sign located at blah blah blah." Literally, they are taught to make them as bulletproof and exaggerated as high school graduates can write without "lying." I hate to say it but some of mine have been flat out lies. It happens, so expect it. You are given three options with your ticket, (It's been a while, so I forget "Refusal" I didn't do it, "Mitigation" There were mitigating circumstances, and "guilty" Here's the check or money order.

If you choose court, you have until the court date to just proclaim your guilt and pay the ticket. I've done that before as well just because I didn't have the money within the 14 days. That is legit. Anyways, 99.99% of the time the judge will reduce the ticket just because you took the time to show up. Also, don't just show up to court with a story - THE JUDGE HAS THE REPORT - THE JUDGE HAS THE REPORT - I've seen it time and time again, the dude shows up with some ridiculous story, tells it to the judge and then the judge reads the police report aloud to everyone.

I wouldn't defer it just yet, you're young, god only knows when you're going to need it in the next seven years. (I think it's seven Alex)

One way or another, get the report before you make a decision.
damn your and idiot and your giving me crap. You should not be on the road with 100+ times you been pulled over before you are 20. give it up man stop driving. Also i guess you were there when i got pulled over, cause your saying it didnt happen? wrong buddy. think again

KarlVP said:
Be a man and pay the ticket.

Really? I pay enough taxes and frankly I'd rather the police be doing something more important. Paying the ticket just encourages the city/county/state officials to keep the police doing the crap traffic jobs.

Fight it! Get it reduced, or get it deferred. People always pay more because they are lazy, or didn't know how to do something.

Smittty9785 said:
damn your and idiot and your giving me crap. You should not be on the road with 100+ times you been pulled over before you are 20. give it up man stop driving. Also i guess you were there when i got pulled over, cause your saying it didnt happen? wrong buddy. think again

Nobody said you didn't get a ticket, I said you're a retard because you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Last edited:
1. Admit you were wrong and pay the ticket
OR
2. Deny you were wrong and pay a lawyer

Either way this is going to cost you. For what is is worth I went to the magistrate when I was fresh out of school and had no money. Told him that I was there simply because I had more time than money and was hoping for some kind of accommodation. The fine was about halved.

A few years ago I got a ticket for failure to stop at a sign. However, I know damn well that I made a complete stop (as I saw the cop sitting at the intersection) and my sister in the passenger seat also confirms that I made a complete stop.

Unfortunately, there is really nothing you can do if it's your word vs. the cops word, and have no evidence that you did stop.

I ended up consulting with a lawyer. In the end, I paid more than the original ticket (both in the lawyer's fee and the ticket cost), but it did not go on my record (I was already on supervision for a speeding ticket 11 months prior).

Was the cost worth it? Not really....I was pissed at how much it cost me for something that I didn't even do.....but unfortunately, that's the way it seems to work.

If I truly had not stopped, I would have manned up and paid the ticket and consequences of it going on my record.

i like the sound of that deferment deal, in parts of MA they have an officer that sits in court all day to represent whoever pulled you over since so many people were getting off due to an unavailible officer

mud1059 said:
Nobody said you didn't get a ticket, I said you're a retard because you don't know what the hell you're talking about.
your funny man, I dont know what im talking about. thats odd cause what i said actually worked for me all the way, so whats so retarded about that?

Back