• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Azusa update

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
well folks, as you know, ive been keeping my ear to the ground, trying to find out when they are going to re-open the canyon. apparently they were scheduled to start letting water out of the dam yesterday, but there are problems with the drainage system. it looks like the canyon wont be open until next month at the earliest.

Dude I went to holy jim this weekend and got all the mud I needed. There was like 5 trucks/jeeps hydrolocked from the mud and water crossings.

s7tech said:
Dude I went to holy jim this weekend and got all the mud I needed. There was like 5 trucks/jeeps hydrolocked from the mud and water crossings.

I went out there for the first time this weekend. It was like a mini Azusa.....

is the lake there still? you know what i mean, the huge pool of water off to the right of the road a little ways? also, there's an area off to the left of the road at some point that has a trail with a never locked gate on it. anyone ever been up it?

1998xj1985 said:
is the lake there still? you know what i mean, the huge pool of water off to the right of the road a little ways? also, there's an area off to the left of the road at some point that has a trail with a never locked gate on it. anyone ever been up it?

That's the Rincon Shortcut. Fun run, washboard fire road for the first 18 miles, then a fun stock-class sandstone trail for the last 10. Does anyone know if it's open yet?

Hey grimm.. Do they still have the camp grounds up there.. Off the east fork road i think.. I has been a long time since i have been ther.. Thanks for the info

scottmcneal said:
Hey grimm.. Do they still have the camp grounds up there.. Off the east fork road i think.. I has been a long time since i have been ther.. Thanks for the info
yes i believe there is a campground up the road past the entrance to the OHV area, but ive never gone up that way just seen the signs.

a little update, looks like the canyon wont be open till late july or even august, the valve system for the dam is completely broken, and they cant release the water from the dam

just so you can see what i mean... water should be shooting 40 ft out of the holes in the front of the pump station, and should be a rushing river coming out just below and to the left, where the small waterfall is. they say if it continues at this rate there will be no offroading in the canyon till mid august or later.

IMG_0045-2.jpg

Sounds like we won't be doing the Azusa thing real soon.
I'm going back in a week to a class reunion in my hometown in Iowa.
About 10 miles from Iowa City. My buddies say there is some good mudding there right now if anyone wants to drive out and meet me there.
Just make sure your rig has a snorkel.

some new teaser shots...

they got one valve working in the dam..
IMG_0048-2.jpg

this is the second water crossing..
IMG_0047-2.jpg

this is the rocky path to the second crossing..
IMG_0046-2.jpg

that was all under water last week.

they are saying it might be open in a couple weeks!

Ohhhhh sweeeeet! Looks like rock garden in july, then an immediate azusa trip after!

Back