• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seized Water Pump ?

JeffU

NAXJA Forum User
97 4.0 LTR 161K miles

At 145 K miles I installed a new radiator. I also decided it was best to replace the original water pump and thermostat. The water pump is a Bosch branded pump which had the identical casting numbers etc. as the OEM it replaced.

Today, with no prior signs of leaking the water pump seems to have seized and tossed the serpentine belt. A significant amount of coolant came out the weep hole on the pump.The pulley on the water pump will not move.

I know that water pump seals eventually go bad and will leak. But, what would cause the pump to seize? What should I do differently when installing the new pump to avoid this happening again?
Thanks,
Jeff

Sounds like a bearing went out. Not a whole lot you can do about that except buy the best warrantied unit you can find.

IGOCOMMANDO,
Thanks for the reply. It is strange to me that the original lasted 145K and this POS only 16K.
The Bosch pump from Pep Boys is a lifetime warranty. But it will cost me a tow,new belt etc. Just an all around pain in the butt.

Back