• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best source for water pump?

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Under the Jeep to look at the motor mounts and I saw coolant dribbling down from the weep hole on the water pump. I pulled the water pump pulley and with a mirror saw the traces of a minor coolant leak. I'm guessing it burns off the water pump pretty quick but some ends up on the lower radiator hose.

Unless I hear somebody the dealer water pumps are no better than NAPA, etc. then I plan on getting one from the dealer.

One thing I noticed is that NAPA Remans are MORE EXPENSIVE than NEW? What is that about? Is the NEW stuff so crappy that people will pay more for a reman?

I've run a Napa tru-flow (new) for a while now. I'm a happy camper.

I bought an AC-Delco water pump and put it on my '91 4.0L HO motor. I looked at several water pumps in the store before I settled on this one. It is very heavy and well made. Well cast and well machined. Obviously a quality product. I've run it for about 5 years now with no issues.

Thanks guys.

I bought a dealer water pump.

"ASSEMBLED IN U.S.A. with U.S. and FOREIGN COMPONENTS".

The shaft is clearly stamped "U.S.A."

For a water pump, I'd rather not have "Made in China"

montanaman,

I wonder how similar the AC Delco and dealer parts are. My new dealer part was beefed up compared to the factory original I took off. The casting was thicker where the serpentine belt/power steering bracket bolts are mounted, the impeller blades were slightly thicker, and the pulley mount was a good bit thicker. Where did you get the AC Delco?

I just bought one today, they had a duralast for 32$ and a true value for 25$, I compared them and the dura last was more polished and smoother casting, looked well made and lifetime warranty, true value looked rougher an had casting lines everywhere that was at autozone

From the general feedback I've seen, Duralast is a pretty decent product line. I actually like many of their tools better than Craftsman these days. Duralast is made in Taiwan and much of Craftsman is made in China. I have a Duralast u-joint that has been fine. Auto Zone carries the same Spectra radiators that most everyone does and their computer warranty system eliminates the need for paper receipts that are often on heat sensitive paper that fades, i.e. Advance. Auto Zone is also located in many, many locations with long hours so if you need that radiator warrantied at 8PM when you get home from work, chances are you can get it done that night. I think NAPA has been cheapening their brand on many products like the Made in China water pumps. However, their NAPA Echlon sensors and ignition products are still good quality. For sensors, its either dealer or NAPA Echlon for me.

Carquest and (last I knew, Napa) water pumps are made by GMB.
Carquest premium sensors are made by wells. Do not remember about NAPA sensors.

Back