• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Water Pump Leaking?

FernGreen

NAXJA Forum User
Long story short I replaced my old water pump because it was leaking around the gasket and i replaced it with a new ac delco part #252191. Recently i noticed that after the jeep has been sitting for a little while, it drips off the bottom of the water pump near where the lower rad hose attaches. It doesn't look like it's coming from the hose, the hose is new and has a traditional hose clamp and tighten down pretty good and it doesn't seem to affect the dripping. Judging by the coolant trace marks that are running down the front side of the water pump it looks like the leak might be coming from the front on the water pump. The thermostat housing is sealed and is not leaking on the top of the water pump. Could it be that the water pump is already shot? Its only a month old and its been leaking for approximately 3 weeks.
This guy in this thread almost explains my leak exactly except my leak never drips heavily: https://www.naxja.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1037099

Last edited:
I would check to see if it's coming from the weep hole, if is is a new pump is in your life.

You got to check the bottom hole!

You got to check the bottom hole!
Thank you good sir! I'm officially an idiot for never noticing there's two weep holes:doh:. I just checked my old one that I took out and sure enough there is a bottom one. I'll have to pull the pulley off so I can observe the bottom one it looks like. I'll try pressure testing it too with the pulley off.

Pay close attention to the heater tube that is pipe threaded into the WP. That is another potential culprit.

Will do guys, It doesn’t appear to be leaking from the heater core pipe that screws into the WP. I just haven’t had a chance to dig into It yet. I post back here when I get her apart.

Check for leakage past the bearing too - that's where mine was leaking that last time..

Back