• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE Install Help

Hack 'n Tap, or a "real" SYE? I could help ya with a HnT, but I have no idea how to install a "real" one.

Daedalus454 said:
Hack 'n Tap, or a "real" SYE? I could help ya with a HnT, but I have no idea how to install a "real" one.

Hehe, you're funny!!! :laugh3: :laugh3:

"Real" SYE is a hell of a lot easier than a hack 'n' tap....I don't even like touching those.

Just follow the instructions on the paper that comes with it. The job really is cake. In fact, you're probably better off doing a google search for write ups. Most the instructions tell you to take the t-case out of the jeep....totally unnecessary!

All you need is a good set of snap ring pliers, a little patience, a 12 pack of beer, and a BIG box of band-aids. =) (Ok, well I was using busted snap ring pliers the last time, so it kept folding on me....prolly didn't help none and added a few more bandaids to the job than generally required.)

By the way, does anyone have any recommendations on what driveshaft to get? (length, does the rear axle I have make a difference?, etc.)... I have an 8.25 but might swap for a Dana 44. Would this make a difference down the road? The driveshafts come in different lengths and don't know which one to get. Thanks!

You won't know what DS to get until you lift it, get the sye in, and take a measurement. As a temporary solution, the front driveshaft may work for a temporary rear....mine did.

And I'm sure someone will give you a hand. If you weren't so far north, I'd help ya. But SB is a little out of my commuting distance. =(

Going from an 8.25 to a D44 won't make a difference in the driveshaft length. I just did it.

When I did my SYE a few years ago, my buddy at an offroad shop called RE and gave them the model and amount of lift, and they sent the right driveshaft. They've done it thousands of times, so they know what works.

GauchoMD said:
So, I'm finally breaking down and putting in a SYE.

Jason, give me a call on my cell today.
If you have the transfer case kit by the weekend we can use the hoist at the shop.
I've got AdvanceAdapter's kits on all of mine, but have done others.
Give me a call.

Thanks Robert, I don't know I'll have it by this weekend since I haven't ordered it yet...I was planning on ordering it today or tomorrow depending on whether or not I got the information I needed as far as driveshaft length. Do you have any ideas? I have a 96 XJ, 8.25 rear end and the 231 TC. Thanks!

Ok, my bad, I wasn't realizing you're already lifted, so....

assuming you're already lifted, if you take a measurement from yoke to yoke, they should be able to give you a pretty exact size. Then they just calculate for the additional 3 inches or whatever it is once the SYE is in.

Just a thought...

GauchoMD said:
Thanks Robert, I don't know I'll have it by this weekend since I haven't ordered it yet...I was planning on ordering it today or tomorrow depending on whether or not I got the information I needed as far as driveshaft length. Do you have any ideas? I have a 96 XJ, 8.25 rear end and the 231 TC. Thanks!

The proper way is to do the SYE install first, then measure yoke to yoke. Give those dimensions to a good, local driveline shop and have them build one for you. Or you can send the dimensions to Tom Woods and he will build a driveshaft and guarantee it too.

Back