• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash/motor swap questions

rowley65flip

NAXJA Forum User
I have a wrecked 97 with a 4.0 and a good 87 with a 4 banger. Im swaping the motor and interior from the 97 into the 87. Since i have to swap the wiring harness im going to swap out the whole dash and interior(since im doing the dash). my questions are: can i use the tilt steering column from the 97 for the 87? will it bolt right in? will my 87 trans work with the 97 wiring harness and motor? any advice or guidance? thanks

Seats bases won't fit, the floorpans are different. You can probably use the column, but I wouldn't expect a trouble free bolt in. The early column was GM, the later Chryco, so swapping the wire harness will be mandatory. I assume the 87 trans is AW4? The '97 isn't, different harness there too, and it may not cooperate with the newer OBDII computer. The later uses a electronic pickup?

I know I'm asking questions that may seem confusing, but I'm sure others will chime in with the straight stuff to correct it. Just being a lightning rod.

Back