• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Swap 98 4.0 to 92 4.0

Smurfeh

NAXJA Forum User
Just as the topic sayes.

I know it may sound like a crazy idea, but my friend has a 98 XJ 4.0L AW4 d30 d35. He also has a 92 4.0L HO AW4 d30 d35 that was hit in the rear and writen off but still has in his possesion. Reciently on his 98 he blew a connecting rod through the block, and asked me if the swap was possible with his 92 4.0 HO.

Now I'm fimilar with old renix engines as I own 2 MJs (pre-1991) and I know that after 1991 when they went to the HO alot of changes took place with it, connecter styles, plugs, etc. So I dont know if there were anymore changes after that to the 4.0.

In Short My questions are:
1) What will be required for the full swap? Harness, Ecu, sensors, etc?
2) Will the newer AW4 still Bolt Up to the older engine?
3) How Much beer do you think I'll need? 3 Cases?
4) Is there someone out there that has actually done this kind of swap? from new to old?

I thank you all for your time and help with this matter,

One thing would be that the 92 is OBDI and 98 is OBDII. If the 92 is crumpled why doesn't he take and swap out the short block(92) and put that in the 98 with the 98 head , sensors etc.

Smurfeh said:
Are you imply that he just use the crank case ONLY? minus the head obviously?
Engine block. Short block is a term that means engine minus accessories and head. As opposed to Long Block which would include the head but generally none of the accessories or bolt-on pieces.

There are tranny changes in 98, so you'd need to keep the tranny with the tranny computer and ecm. There may have been head changes between those years, hence the recommendation to only swap the short blocks?

Back