• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2008 Oregon Trail Rally (this Friday-Sunday)

Yeah, this is definitely worth your time.
i got a question for you JR, what freq will you guys be working off? I wanna listen in on my scanner while we're out there Saturday.

nightfoam said:
Yeah, this is definitely worth your time.
i got a question for you JR, what freq will you guys be working off? I wanna listen in on my scanner while we're out there Saturday.

I work off of about 10 different frequencies across the weekend, I have no idea what ones I will be on and when.

cherotron said:
Ahhh, I can't make it down there to spectate. JR, if you run into Mr. Burress, kick "him" in the wedge and tell to learn how to drive!

ha!

I just wish they were competing...OTR without the Landshark just seems wrong.

WheelinJR said:
How long will you guys be down and out? Possible September Wild West appearance?

Rematch - Demons vs Pomeroy

not sure yet.. we're in the "figuring out the best option" stage.. may end up going nuts on the mkIII Golf shell thats marinating in our shop.

Hey Jason, I am thinking of going out to PIR tonight to watch the rally and then possibly going out Saturday or Sunday to one of those stages. What time should I plan on getting there on Saturday or Sunday to watch? I have never been to an event like this before so I have no idea what it is like. Any recomendations on where to watch from if you know the roads at all?

I'm going to hit the Fairgrounds tomorrow to check things out - I love rally, wish it was bigger in the states. I've only ever watched it on TV, stopped by a few SCCA events locally. It'll be great to see some fast guys in person. A guy I used to race RC rally with may be competing in the Oregon Trail Rally - he's moved up from toy cars!

Looking at the Oregon Trail webpage, I think I may have seen Andrew Pinker's car driving down 10th Ave in Hillsboro a couple of evenings ago - that or a very good replica of his car. Made me with my BOV was louder... and my turbo larger.

boostleak said:
Looking at the Oregon Trail webpage, I think I may have seen Andrew Pinker's car driving down 10th Ave in Hillsboro a couple of evenings ago - that or a very good replica of his car. Made me with my BOV was louder... and my turbo larger.

I am sure it was him, he's been in town all month.

Well I went to the Oregon Trail Rally, Friday night at PIR and Sunday morning at Salmonberry road. Watching the cars at PIR was pretty cool but the Sunday viewing area at Salmonberry Rd was beyond lame. The area was small and in a hole so you couldn't see shit. There were so many people there you couldn't get a view of much of anything unless you camped out. I was quite disapointed to say the least.

It also seeemed like some of the people were not really going that fast, the top guys were all giving it their all but some of the other cars were going around the one corner I could see at speeds that were pretty lame. I take my lifted Jeep around corners faster than that, they were not even drifting at all. Maybe it has something to do with the fact they were driving a front wheel drive car or something, I don't know.

Is this how these events usually are, can you only watch from the "1" designated viewing area? From the spectators standpoint the Sunday event was quite boring, I love rally racing but watching a car go in a straight line in front of you for a total of maybe 4 seconds is pretty Boring. I don't know maybe I was expecting to much.

jeepboy381 said:
Well I went to the Oregon Trail Rally, Friday night at PIR and Sunday morning at Salmonberry road. Watching the cars at PIR was pretty cool but the Sunday viewing area at Salmonberry Rd was beyond lame. The area was small and in a hole so you couldn't see shit. There were so many people there you couldn't get a view of much of anything unless you camped out. I was quite disapointed to say the least.

It also seeemed like some of the people were not really going that fast, the top guys were all giving it their all but some of the other cars were going around the one corner I could see at speeds that were pretty lame. I take my lifted Jeep around corners faster than that, they were not even drifting at all. Maybe it has something to do with the fact they were driving a front wheel drive car or something, I don't know.

Is this how these events usually are, can you only watch from the "1" designated viewing area? From the spectators standpoint the Sunday event was quite boring, I love rally racing but watching a car go in a straight line in front of you for a total of maybe 4 seconds is pretty Boring. I don't know maybe I was expecting to much.

You really have to do the dance to get the good views. Basically bounce from spot to spot as much as possible to see as much as possible. Saturday was really the better day to watch. Rally is a tough sport to spectate and Oregon Trail is a tough rally to be fast and still stay on the road.

Keep in mind that by Sunday we had lost over 1/3 of the field, so the viewing was much less. Also, alot of the spectator access was lost because alot of our roads were lost due to weather issues.

But yes, in normal rally life you can get to a spectator corner, watch, then jump to the next, and so on...and see much more. You should've had time after the stages at Salmonberry to run back into Hillsboro and watch the fairgrounds stage too.

So you can actually watch from somewhere else besides the caution tapeed area's? Where we were on Salmonberry rd if you were not in the taped off area they would chase you down and yell at you.

You said that there was a stage at the Hillsboro Fairgrounds Sunday, that was not mentioned in the handout I got?

No, you have to stay in the designated spectator areas, what I am saying is that there are usually 2-3 stages with multiple runnings so you can dance back and forth to the various areas to see more of the rally.

I will agree, that Salmonberry spectator point at that 90 turn did kinda suck it was a bad viewpoint, did you at least get to see the two cars flop in the ditch together?

And yes, the spectator guide didn't have the hillsboro stage listed for sunday, it had saturday only. It was a late addition. I'm not sure how word of mouth got out on it, that place was packed!

We didn't stay for the whole time at Salmonberry but we were there when the first car rolled at the corner. Of course you couldn't see it from where we were standing though. That guy was going noticably faster than everyone else that went by us though! It was really weird, I saw him go by really fast and when he got to the corner I could no longer see but when he wrecked I heard absolutely nothing, not even a branch break or anything. The only reason I knew he wrecked was because you couldnt hear his car take off after the corner. The driver walked down to the spectator area and looked pretty sad, he was talking to someone in front of us and he said he just went into the corner to hot and rolled the car on it's side.

You said one more car rolled as well, did it hit the first one? What kind of car was the second one?

I was planning on heading out on Sunday to watch, but I saw that there was only one spectator stage. I thought it would be kinda lame only being able to watch from one area, so it was to TSF instead. :laugh3: Sounds like I made the right decision.

Jason, I take it you were sweeping in the XJ for the last time? OTR was its first and last rally, good way to let it go. ;)

Where are the pics?

Yup, first rally and last rally in the same place, even got to end the Jeep's run with a big waterbar finish, sprayin water everywhere!

Here are some pictures from the event.

Cool sunset/spectator silhouette shot at PIR:

IMG_4137.JPG

Hey there's a hole there

IMG_4140.JPG

And there too!

IMG_4142.JPG

Got a little back to the future 2 on the rear wheel

IMG_4146.JPG

25-30ish feet...

IMG_4154.JPG

Andy and Robbie decided that Tanners wheelbase needed a stretch, so they decided that anchoring to my Jeep in the rear, and then pulling on the front would bring it to the desired length. Kinda like an old school torture device.

IMG_4159.JPG

That's pretty much it. There's a few filler pics here and there in my album.

http://e-crewnw.com/album/v/users/JR/otr08/?g2_page=1

Back