• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much oil .....

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
for the D44 from an '89 XJ.

With the Riddler cover I use, I put 3 quarts of oil in it. At highway speed with the ambient temperature in the 80's the oil come out the vent. I think it should be 2 quarts but I am not sure.

XJ Stryker said:
I filled my D44 from both 87 waggies with 2 quarts and it came out of the fill plug. Not sure how you got 3 quarts in it

Yea, 2 quarts is what I thought.
The extra high fill hole built into the 'Riddler' diff cover.

I have about 2,000 miles on my new rebuilt D44. I want to do an oil change and read the magnets (that are inside the cover) for a general health analysis.

Is the Lucas Synthetic? The ECTED only uses non-synthetis along with some friction modifier

hey my brother also has a 44 with a SOLID diff cover, he put oil in it and it ended up being to much and totally ruined all the bearings and messed his brakes up.
so watch how much your putting in there.

Yea; the thought of oil soaked brakes occoured to me but that has not happned.
I really need to get some of that oil out. I think it foams at high speed. Could it be poor quality in addition to being over full?
Since it only exits the vent at high speed it could be caused by foaming because it is too full.

3.0 pints or a quart and a half is the recommended stock level.

Usually its 4.0oz or 1/4 pint is the correct amount of LSD additive.

If the fluid is forcing its way out the vent tube(Which I hope is extended high enough), you are certainly at risk for blowing out an axle seal and soaking a set of brakes.

How long ago did you put on the Riddler cover? The additive package of quality lubes contain anti-foam additives that will keep the foaming problem to lesser degree..

Almost 2,000 miles ago. Weekend was the hottest here in Baltimore for the year and I was on the highway at close to 80 MPH. then is when it happned.
I drove up from Miami doing 700+ miles in a single day and that did not happen. Since I am here I do not drive a lot until Saturday.
Maybe I should try Amsoil.

I would let the excess come out the vent. It should stop once enough is gone. Thats just me not wanting to crack open the cover. If I got oil on the brakes I'd just spray them off with brake cleaner. Your call though. The higher hole is actually for tilting up your pinion angle and still being able to put the correct amount of lube in it. Not for put an extra Q. You have to remember it will start to flow down the axle tubes if to high. If you lookat you stock cover the fill hole is located convienently just below the bottom edge the axle tube.........?

Good call on the fill level 90XJLTD. I should have thought of it that way.

On the oil additive, the ECTED booklet calls for 80/90 non-synthetic hypoid oil with a Ford or GM additive at 3oz per quart of oil. It also states in Bold letters "Do not use synthetic oils".

90XJLtd said:
If you lookat you stock cover the fill hole is located convienently just below the bottom edge the axle tube.........?

The fill level depends on whether the gear oil is used to lube the wheel bearings. The D35 c-clip has a higher fill hole as it lubes the bearings. The D35 non-clip has its hole close to the bottom edge of the tubes since the bearings are packed with grease instead. I'm not sure how the D44 wheel bearings get lubed.

techno1154 said:
Good call on the fill level 90XJLTD. I should have thought of it that way.

On the oil additive, the ECTED booklet calls for 80/90 non-synthetic hypoid oil with a Ford or GM additive at 3oz per quart of oil. It also states in Bold letters "Do not use synthetic oils".

After looking at the Ected specs its physical size may also be causing some of your problems. It has a fairly substantial mass where an open diff has open space. This would lessen the amount of fluid needed to fill the differential housing to the correct level.

I dont know the exact reasoning behind the no synthetic lubes recommendation. But its probably the same reasoning behind other limited slip units recommending the same thing. The synthetics have higher lubricity than dino fluids, so they are afraid of getting slipping clutches.

I have always wanted to know;.... Does the additive make the clutches more slipery or more sticky? :dunno:

techno1154 said:
I have always wanted to know;.... Does the additive make the clutches more slipery or more sticky? :dunno:

Additive makes the clutches stickier. Clutch chatter is when the clutches slip a little bit and grab again.

Back