• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ console swap e-brake

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I recently swapped a 97+ console into my 94 XJ, and am wondering how the e-brake was done. I got a 97+ ebrake handle, which came with the front cable, which is considerably longer than the old "rod" setup.

Can I cut this cable down to the length of the rod, put a stopper on the end of it, notch the piece where the rod attached to the 2 rear cables, and be done with it?

Or is there another way to do it that I'm not seeing. Is it easiest to just get all the e-brake parts out of a 97+? 97+ XJ's are not common in the yards near me as they tend not to rust out as quickly here.

For searcher reference... here's what I finally did.

I played around with a 97 + ebrake handle and a small turnbuckle, couldn't get it tight enough to work. I attempted doing 1 bolt on the old ebrake handle and cocking it sideways to angle it through the slot, ended up breaking the e-brake handle.

I bolted another jy ebrake handle in and figured it out. This method isn't for everyone; my Jeep is a wheeling toy, and I got the 97+ console so I could have a useful cupholder... looks are a secondary concern.

I bolted the ebrake in the same as I did with the old console.. and trimmed the opening on the console with a small saw until the handle had enough room to move. It doesn't take much, about half an inch on the rt side of the opening, and down a bit lower.

E-brake works great and my diet coke is no longer in the way of it.

i used a turnbuckle thingie just fine. maybe yours wasnt small enough?

oh well, glad ya got it working anyhow.

Bought the smallest one I could find. I'm running an 8.8 rear as well so my cables need a crap ton more tension than the 8.25 ever seemed to need.

Back