• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ stalling / Fuel pump cutting out

Pioneer89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
It died last week and I thought it was because of the fuel filter I changed on the night before. Drove fine all weekend and past two days though, about fifty miles, no stalling. XJ died again on the way to work this morning. So this is one of those fun intermittion problems.

This morning it died as I am cruising along like before. I pull over and try to restart it and I can't hear the fuel pump. After a couple minutes of cranking (I knew it wasn't going to leave me stranded ), I heard the fuel pump kick on and she started right up. Could the relay be bad?

What about the ballast resistor? Do they go bad or are they only bad if they are broken. The fuel pump was replaced a few years ago by the previous owner, so I am thinking that it probably isn't it. Any other suggestions? 89 XJ 4.0 4x4. Thanks.

Thanks

The relay for the fuel pump and aux fan are the same. Switch them out to see if its the relay (assuming your aux fan is working properly), and it will help you narrow it down.

Back