• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ Brake line install

Peregrine

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you who use YJ brake lines...I need some advice. I have been doing some searching ever since I heard this idea to ensure it will be a straight forward install. Looks to me like they will hit the shocks when turning if I install them as directed. Did you have the same problem and what did you do to alleviate the rubbing. Many have said it's a direct bolt in with no issues. Thanks!

I bought them for my 4.5" lifted 90 XJ. I didn't like how long the metal piece was on the hose. So I took them back andpicked up some 1990 C1500 front hoses. I had to grind off a little on the part that connects to the caliper. But I am ver happy with them. They are plenty long enough, probably long enough for up to a 6" lift or more. I found the article on here about them. veryone said they were jut bolt on too, but I had no choice but to grind a little. Maybe it is direct swap for newer XJs?

I have already bought the YJ lines a couple of weeks ago...now I am rethinking my decision. I will do another mock install today and see if I will get any rubbing. I guess I could always bend the lines but I would rather not. I read somewhere that someone put the drivers line on the passenger side and vice versa. Seems like there would be unneeded stress on the lines even though it may clear the shocks better. Anyone else have experience with them? thanks again

You talking about the front lines? Give 'em a twist to keep the slack away from the shock and tire. Play with the rotation to determine which way tucks 'em away better.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yes, I am referring to the front ones. It's not the rubber that's causing the rubbing...it's the 6" metal part of the line. It seems to be fine when tire is turned out and straight. When tire is turned in, the metal part is angled enough to where it looks like it will make contact with the shock and may pose a safety issue.

IIRC I just bent the hard-line at the caliper end a little.

You can also relocate the upper hard-line (straighten the kink and reattach it lower/rearward)

Peregrine said:
I have already bought the YJ lines a couple of weeks ago...now I am rethinking my decision. I will do another mock install today and see if I will get any rubbing. I guess I could always bend the lines but I would rather not. I read somewhere that someone put the drivers line on the passenger side and vice versa. Seems like there would be unneeded stress on the lines even though it may clear the shocks better. Anyone else have experience with them? thanks again

I returned my YJ lines abou 9 months after I bought them. Then bought the GM lines mentioned earlier. They will take the lines back, plus the GM brake hoses are cheaper, so it's a little more money in your pocket.

Oh, you also have to slide the metal sleeve up the hose. The thread mentioned above is the same one I used.

After looking at the setup again...it may just work with no modification to the metal line. It looks like it will miss the shock by mere 1/4-1/2" or so. If it does, I am going the GM line route. Thanks for all the input. I will post how it turns out if anyone is interested.

Posting back with first hand experience is always awesome. People searching for answers will be much better off knowing what worked. If you don't post back with results, then who knows if the advice given is sound.

Also, did you check clearance when the supension is flexed? If it is barely missing the shock while sitting level, it might be hitting when it is flexed.

how much lift will these be good to?

Tommy4949 said:
Posting back with first hand experience is always awesome. People searching for answers will be much better off knowing what worked. If you don't post back with results, then who knows if the advice given is sound.

Also, did you check clearance when the supension is flexed? If it is barely missing the shock while sitting level, it might be hitting when it is flexed.
nope mine don't touch even when fully flexed I had to go check but Im positive they don't now.

yup YJ lines on zero lift and fat shocks from my old YJ setup, I did the lines when we had one bust back in december and figured why buy them twice since we are lifting it this summer a couple of inches and a bigger one for next year, the XJ is my wifes so Im breaking her in slow. right now the lines have to be tied out of the way since there is so much slack.

I am using the GM front lines and a Dakota rear line. They work flawlessly and bolted right in. I am at 4"-4.5" lift right now.

1991 XJ, 3" Skyjacker lift, JKS discos.

YJ lines worked great with NO modification. The extended metal line keeps the brake line high and tight making it less likely that a stick will reach out and grab it. If I remember right, they were about 3"(?) longer than stock. I would highly recommend this cheapo mod...sure beats 100 bucks for a set of SS extended brake lines!

magimerlin said:
I am using the GM front lines and a Dakota rear line. They work flawlessly and bolted right in. I am at 4"-4.5" lift right now.

Would they work if you went up another inch or two? I plan on 5.5" springs and probably a .75 shackle and spacer.

99XJLove said:
Would they work if you went up another inch or two? I plan on 5.5" springs and probably a .75 shackle and spacer.

It looks like they would work for another inch but two might be at its limit depending on the droop. I have plent of lenth left at full droop as I sit now.

Back