• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard Start No Start.

TJHillbillydeluxe

NAXJA Forum User
I am a newb member looking for some additional information about my "hard start issue". I, first of all have a 2000 Classic and a 2000 Sport both Autos with 4.0Ls, the Classic runs like a top and is my DD the Sport I just picked up on the cheap because it has a hard start/stall issue.

The issue is as follows (yes i have used the search function):
The Sport will turn over, sputter, backfire out the air intake. When it does finally start it revs high then drops down to a normal idle speed but still stutters sometimes. If i give it gas it will rev up no problem, and as soon as i let off the gas it instantly stalls, even if i get back on the gas once it starts to stall it still goes.

I have read through numerous posts describing hard starts etc and have replaced the CPS on the Sport. I also switched TPS, and IAC from my fully functional Classic to the Disfunctional Sport and found no differences in the performance of either. I also did a tune up on the Sport with new plugs, i even swapped coil rails from the Sport to the Classic and vis-a-versa with no effect on the performance of either Jeep. I have fuel at the fuel rail, and spark. I am beging to think this may be a fuel related problem as i have spark but i keep getting ODBII code P0351, P0352 and P0353. I have done a fuel pressure test at running conditions with both, and both the Sport and Classic have around 47 psi when idleing. If i shut them down, and let them sit for a half hour my Classic drops to about 35, and the Sport drops to around 15, is this an indicator that the fuel pump is gone? Or that i need a really big hammer? :rolleyes:

If anyone has any ideas i would great appriciate hearing them!:cheers:

Thanks a ton in advance!

TJHillbilly :worship:

Last edited:
That is a strange one. Any check engine light recently or have you checked the computer for any stored codes from a light that went on and off without you noticing?

Back