• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

finding a chrysler 8.25 axle?????

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
how do i find a 8.25 rear axle??? i've been looking for about a month. i want to go up to 33" tires but really can't with my d35 rear that i have now. but i live in Manitoba, Canada and cannot, for the life of me, find a 8.25 anywhere. i would even pay for shipping form the U.S. at this point. anyone have any tips?

Keep an eye on forums for sale sections. Look around at JY's, ebay, and craigslist. But I wouldnt spend the extra money for the 8.25 if you need it to be shipped. Find a 8.8 or a 44 and put the perches on yourself.

trail rate this said:
i had a 88 wrangler w/ the d35 rear and ran 33" boggers and beat on it.I even got up to 35's on it.

To the OP, I would not consider doing this at all. This persons case is very rare and it does not work out this way for most.

trail rate this said:
i had a 88 wrangler w/ the d35 rear and ran 33" boggers and beat on it.I even got up to 35's on it.

So I can run 33's on a dana 35?? i really don't "beat on it" just regular driving, a little offroading but not much. I was under the impression that the dana 35 could not handle anything bigger than 31's?

mitsumotors said:
guys have told me that you can run 33's on a dana 35 if you don't wheel it, which i really don't, so is this a good idea?

I wouldnt do anything past 31's. Im on 31's with a d35 in the rear and I cant drive it very far because my ring is on its way out.

mitsumotors said:
So I can run 33's on a dana 35?? i really don't "beat on it" just regular driving, a little offroading but not much. I was under the impression that the dana 35 could not handle anything bigger than 31's?

Listening to forums 100% isn't a good way to make decisions. Run the 33"s on the D35, it will be fine unless you wheel hard in the rocks. It's not going to be worth your time or money if you are only going up to 33"s.

and if you do beat on it hard and it does happen to snap THEN upgrade. Why waste money if you don't even really wheel it?

I ran 34"s on a D35 while I was building up a 8.25 for two years...I was always expecting it to break because I'm not easy on my jeep at all and to my surprise it held up fine. Towards the end I even tried breaking it on the streets but never broke it.

Also don't listen to people on forums who have no REAL experience with the axle.

the only problem is that i will be re-gearing whatever axle i use to 4.56 gears so i really don't want to regear a dana 35 if its not going to be a sure thing???

i just found one using the "car-parts.com" site. thanks. so do i need the 29 or 27 spline? i want the one that will just drop right in with no real modifications or special driveshaft work or anything???

mitsumotors said:
i just found one using the "car-parts.com" site. thanks. so do i need the 29 or 27 spline? i want the one that will just drop right in with no real modifications or special driveshaft work or anything???

Be sure to go with the 29spl as the 27spl is not much of an upgrade over the d35.

andrew2516 said:
Listening to forums 100% isn't a good way to make decisions. Run the 33"s on the D35, it will be fine unless you wheel hard in the rocks.

my friend blew an open D35 twice in a week on the street running 33s.

93XJLI said:
my friend blew an open D35 twice in a week on the street running 33s.

The quality in them seems to vary greatly...I've seen a few others run big tires on them and never have them break but it does seem like 1 in 10 are extremely weak.

x2 on going with the 29 spline axle and not the 27.

Most maller never regear or upgrade. I can't count the number of Jeep with 31-35 tires running 35s. With few problems and that includes some light offing too. It all depends on how you beat on them. But it's hard not to beat on them if you off and it allmost impossible not to off if you got a Jeep. (IMO)

Back