• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 doesn't want to go...sometimes.

OverTheHillsATTW

NAXJA Forum User
Well I got into my moms 96 to check out the "problem" she had been having. I started it up and it was fine, took off and it was fine. Then about halfway down the road it didn't want to accelerate but then it caught its self. The peddle in the same area just with no accel or rpms. It doesn't die either it will continue going after that brief moment. I didn't experiance it for the whole time I was driving after that. She says her jeep runs great and there are no mods done. About 140k... the mechanic tried to remedy this with all kinds of costly replacements. Plugs, wires, filters, oil and tranny change. Not really too costly but I could have done it for a 1/4 of the price. So now I can't figure out whats wrong here. I've searched and couldn't find anything that sounded like this.:smoker: I'd hate for something to actually happen while she was in traffic. :helpme:

OverTheHillsATTW said:
Well I got into my moms 96 to check out the "problem" she had been having. I started it up and it was fine, took off and it was fine. Then about halfway down the road it didn't want to accelerate but then it caught its self. The peddle in the same area just with no accel or rpms. It doesn't die either it will continue going after that brief moment. I didn't experience it for the whole time I was driving after that. She says her jeep runs great and there are no mods done. About 140k... the mechanic tried to remedy this with all kinds of costly replacements. Plugs, wires, filters, oil and tranny change. Not really too costly but I could have done it for a 1/4 of the price. So now I can't figure out whats wrong here. I've searched and couldn't find anything that sounded like this.:smoker: I'd hate for something to actually happen while she was in traffic. :helpme:

I had this happen in my 96 a couple of days ago, it was momentary, never repeated.

I went out and pulled codes. I had 11, 12, 14, 14
I need to do some checking. Have you pulled any codes?
Turn the key twice on momentarily and keep it on the third time. Look at the flashing "engine" light. You get two groups of flashes.
The first group is the first digit, the second group is the second digit.

Last edited:
Back