• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone done it?

jcwxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am talking about a 2.8 to3.4 swap I have done searches for the last two weeks. I have found some helpful info but would really like to taalk to someone who has done a 2.8 to 3.4 V6 swap in a 1986 Xj. It appears that this is my final option and best one. Really need help!!!!!
jcwxj

Does it need to pass emissions / inspection in your State? That's usually the biggest consideration to doing engine swaps - being sure that base is covered.

I haven't done the 3.4 swap, but I have and am in the process of another 4.3 Vortec swap. The 4.3 is similar in execution, but the 3.4 is much easier.

I'm sure you already know that the 3.4 is a direct bolt in for the 2.8, you can use your old exhaust manifolds and accessories, it's the intake and fuel system you need to figure out.

If you're savvy enough to get a GM fuel injection system working in the XJ, that's the route I'd recommend, but if you want it carb'd, then you'll need to get an electric fuel pump, intake manifold and decide between 2bbl or 4bbl carb.

Going the carb route is the easiest and possibly least expensive.

Tell us if you're going F.I. or carb, then maybe we can steer you in the right direction. I recall a thread or two that had the intake manifold part numbers from Edelbrock, and some carb info somewhere......

If i can find a complete fuel injected motor for a reasonable price that is what I would like to use. I didn't put to much thought into a carburated swap but any info would help. i guess with your 4.3 swap you basically need the same stuff as a v8 swap. That is a little to much for me. But any info or direction on 3.4 swap would be great.
thanks, jcwxj

First, I haven't actually done the swap in an XJ, but I am familiar with the 2.8/3.1/3.4 engine family.

You should be able to use an Edelbrock intake manifold which will give you the option of either a carb or tbi setup, look at Edelbrock.com in their intake section. I think it would be very difficult (but possible) to incorporate the stock wiring harness and FI system into the Jeep.

I personally would go with a Howell throttle body kit as I think it would offer an easy, affordable route to a reliable EFI system for your XJ.

Good luck.

If I'm not mistaken Isuzu used A GM 3.4 V6 (and 10 bolt rearend) in the Trooper for a few years and it would most likely be injected------Hans

Back