• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PICK N PULL LIFT QUESTION

B.RAIDER

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to tag along with my son to the the local PNP tommorrow. He's going to look for a part for his SUV.
I've only been to this PNP one time .... about 6 month ago.
I have a question about finding a lifted Jeep Cherokee.
The vehicles they have in their yard have all had their tires and wheels removed and are sitting up on two or three welded wheels for safe access underneath the vehicle.
Outside of the obvious ...... how can one tell if one has a small lift of say 3 inches?

just look at the coil springs. most of them won't be lifted, and the coil springs will look the same. The ones with beefier coil springs have a lift.

You don't usually find vehicles with lifts on them in the junk yard though...

its rare but most people that lift their vehicle have other aftermarket accesories that may hint towards modifications. After a while you will instantly be able to recognize stock equipment, control arms and track bars etc.. I lucked out a while back and came across a full tomken kit, all control arms springs etc in good shape for real cheap so keep a hawk eye out.

MrShaft696 said:
its rare but most people that lift their vehicle have other aftermarket accesories that may hint towards modifications. After a while you will instantly be able to recognize stock equipment, control arms and track bars etc.. I lucked out a while back and came across a full tomken kit, all control arms springs etc in good shape for real cheap so keep a hawk eye out.

Good point, usually there are other mods there to tip you off.

One time I saw an XJ in a junkyard with a big front bumper that someone had built and the fenders were trimmed out. However, the leaf springs and the coils were already gone. The 8.25 sitting underneath it had the shafts removed....pretty much nothing left. Gas tank and skid gone, etc...

red coils, shiny new black coils, you can see a shiny add a leaf in an old leaf pack stick out, longer brake lines, control arms, shocks, list goes on, they are all obvious indications of a lift. every lifted jeep ive seen at the pic n pull has been totally obvious. i use the lift as a reason to open up the diffs. i find lockers some of the times, get em for like 10$(i tell the guy up front they are spider gears, worst case scenario they charge you for the entire carrier (45$) for a detroit!) and use em or sell em. last lifted jeep i found at pnp had lockrights front and rear, along with a cable posi lok for the cad axle, and look out for dana 44's, ive seen 2 of them in 3 months, if i had more time theyd be in my garage and on craigslist....everytime i go to pnp i get excited like a kid at the baseball card shop....

As I said in my first post......I'm only looking for a 3 inch lift.
I don't want to go thru all the mods that go with larger lifts because I really don't need it.
So having said that, for what I'm looking for, I won't see some of the "mods" on the "lifted" Cherokee similar to what I want.

hey chump, we are trying to help you
what do you think 3" lifts are made of? ponies?
4 out of 5 posts explicitly mention coils

xcm said:
hey chump, we are trying to help you
what do you think 3" lifts are made of? ponies?
4 out of 5 posts explicitly mention coils
:doh: I did pick up on that thank you. :peace:
I'm just thinkin if there is a lifted spring pack from one of the aftermarket dealers .... it might be hard to spot.

magimerlin said:
You will be lucky to find a lifted XJ in the yards.
You might be correct in that assumtion.
When I was there a while back they had one that was rolled, with some larger than stock tires next to it. I was'nt looking for Jeep parts then.
I called the PNP today and they quoted me $12 ea. for rear leaf springs and $6 ea. for front coils.
Hope everything pans out for the trip tommorrow. Too many irons on the fire right now.

Last edited:
add another leaf of 2 from another XJ and maybe extended shackles. comanche rear shocks. ZJ V8 coils and shock stud extender and add a coil spring spacer. that comes to $80 in junk yard parts plus the spacers and shackles.

There is a local Pick-N-Pull down here that had 4 XJ's and an MJ with 3" rancho kits on them...i stripped the fronts off of 3 and a buddy did the MJ...i walked out with 3 sets of coils shocks and LCA for $80 bucks

you can usually find lift blocks, and those rubber coil ring spacers, they work, they'll get you up there, not the best way to do it, but me and my roomate did his truck with blocks and rings from pnp, and it was like 25 dollars for everything.

i go like twice a week, i've found a rediculous amount of offroad gear, if you keep an eye out, it's there, you just have to get it first. i strip stuff off rangers, full size chevys, i dont care, i take all the offroad gear and ebay it. you gotta go often though, and get the good stuff before other people like me do : )

I usually check the swaybar links. If they have discos or the links are gone it is a good indication of aftermarket mods. Also, like mentioned before, look for stickers...everyone likes stickers.

Chris @ GATR said:
Any reason you can't just go buy a lift kit? Are you that cheap?

Not everyone has the cash to put out for a new lift; not always a question of cheap but of income (not everyone wants maxed out credit cards).

Back