• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 or torque converter?

amcinstaller

NAXJA Forum User
umm, i was out off roading the other night with a friend, and i gave my 92 xj a little too much love. its the AW4, and 242 case, and after we were leaving the trail, back on the road, it was slipping pretty bad. so, we pulled into the closest service station and i checked all my fluids. tranny oil still red, didnt smell burnt, motor oil still oil, no signs of coolant. when i went to leave, i got into it a little bit just to see if it was still going to slip after letting it cool down, and it seemed to grip better, but still not quite 100%. im figuring i may need to make a trip to my neighbourhood stealership or partsman to pick up a new torque converter. how close am i on that, and is there an aftermarket one that grabs harder but not at a taller rpm?

my jeeps got 320K km (i think thats about 150K mi) on the ticker, nothin been replaced

Try adjusting the linkage near the throttle body. There are two cables and a push button. Follow the repair manual from a parts store or find it by searching Naxja. Its a free fix and it takes less than five minutes. When I do it I pull the tube off the trottle body and clean it. While I am adjusting the linkage I make sure that when I depress the trottle lever all the way down my throttle is all the way open (wide open throttle). Some times you can do this to help with a transmission that seems to be slipping.

TC is the least likely problem. The most common failure mode is the seals in the pump. Beg borrow or steal a tranny pressure gauge and verify you have pressure before wasting $$$ and time on a TC.

seemes to grab great today. not sure how long the fluids been in there, even though its red should i consider a change to atf-4 before another over zealous tour? i also replied to an old thread about wanting to know how, or if i could install a tranny temp guage in my jeep. its bone stock, and i kinda need it to get to work. maybe i dhould ease up a bit on the trail......haha

Back