• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Olive Drab

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
My rig hasnt been one color since i built it winter of 00. As soon as i sanded down and primered fenders they would get dented wheelin, the doors/quarters all met with trees over the years. Since my interests have changed to more Overland style i decided to clean her up.

A fellow NACer works in a bodyshop and was gracious enough to help me out. Keith (MDXJ) and i got together this past weekend and knocked out most of the bodywork.

Heres the XJ after pulling it in.

XJbodywork001.jpg

Keith marked off the areas that needed work, pulled what he could with a vacuum puller. Then he stripped the paint and used a tool that arc's itself to the panel and pulled more. I didnt get a pic of this step as i was removing the Sport option tape along the lower body panel.

XJbodywork002.jpg

XJbodywork004.jpg

XJbodywork005.jpg

XJbodywork007.jpg

Then Keith applied the filler and started sanding.

XJbodywork008.jpg

He does great work, once the sanding was done we swept up and pulled the rig outside. It was getting late on a saturday and i didnt want to keep him from the family more than necessary. Noticed a few small dimples we missed and threw a lil mud on and i sanded it at home once dried. Then i took some primer to it.

XJbodywork010.jpg

XJbodywork011.jpg

bodyinprimer001.jpg

bodyinprimer004.jpg

Yes, the pass side rear quarter still has some dents. I made up some aluminum 1/4 guards that will hide the damage we didnt repair.

I used to work at a place called Army Jeep Parts Inc doing mechanical repairs, parts sales, resto work. George uses Gillespie Coatings Olive Drab paint, it's widely known as one of the best paints on the market for Military vehicle resto's. George had a color developed to match late WWII through Korean war era Jeeps from NOS parts he had. It's a Semi-Gloss OD and what i decided to go with. Heres a pic of his color swatch, not very good but you get the idea. It's the AJP WWII. This will be sprayed in a few weeks.

ODpaintswatch.jpg

I'm waiting until I get my 2500 front clip and then it goes pink

ZacSquatch said:
I'm waiting until I get my 2500 front clip and then it goes pink

Think i'm going to pass on the 2500 clip, rather take that money and have a dual rear swingaway built with tire/fuel/water/Hi-Lift mounts. All this added to my C4x4 bumper.

Good Luck with the pink...

Any pics of your rig with the new OD paint?

Swapped in the tinted glass yesterday, and did the final fitting of the quarter guards.

Waiting on warmer weather to spray this.

Heres a better pic of the color i'm using.

AJPpaintA1.jpg

That should look real nice. Looking forward to the pictures. Have you thought about painting the wheels to match like the Jeep above?

With Jeep's rich history with the armed forces, it seems fitting to paint a few XJ's OD green. I painted mine the current military CARC green last summer, but I really like the old OD you have picked out.

Here's what mine looks like:
TTC2007007.jpg

TTC2007004.jpg

Looking forward to your completed OD project.

-Jeremy

how did you do your front mud guards/fender flare things?^^

Megawatt said:
With Jeep's rich history with the armed forces, it seems fitting to paint a few XJ's OD green. I painted mine the current military CARC green last summer, but I really like the old OD you have picked out.

Looking forward to your completed OD project.

-Jeremy

WOW Thats SICK!

Kudos...

Following this thread too, want to see how the overland XJ goes green

Yes, wheels will be OD as well.

Front and rear bumpers will be POR-15 Chassis Coat black, my rockrails are also black. My Garvin roofrack will stay black.

Winch will be OD.

I think the grille and headlight bezels will be black as well.

Hood will be flat black for non glare of roof lights.

Sorry I cluttered up your thread.

John B said:
Yes, wheels will be OD as well.

Front and rear bumpers will be POR-15 Chassis Coat black, my rockrails are also black. My Garvin roofrack will stay black.

Winch will be OD.

I think the grille and headlight bezels will be black as well.

Hood will be flat black for non glare of roof lights.

Are you keeping the bumpers and rails black for easy touch-ups? That's not a bad idea. I also like the black hood idea.

-Jeremy

Megawatt said:
Sorry I cluttered up your thread.

Are you keeping the bumpers and rails black for easy touch-ups? That's not a bad idea. I also like the black hood idea.

-Jeremy

Not to worry, glad you posted up. You have me thinking about an OD grill and bezels now... love the look of yours. I also like the ARB OD'd... hmmm.

Can you post pics of your rear bumper, specifically the Gerry can mount?

The idea for the black bumpers is from not wanting everything OD, but the POR does hold up well.

Jeremy did you spray yours or bring it to a shop?

I think that if you did black rockers and fenders it would make it really stand out and look pretty slick.
-Alex

John B said:
Yes, the pass side rear quarter still has some dents. I made up some aluminum 1/4 guards that will hide the damage we didnt repair.

I used to work at a place called Army Jeep Parts Inc doing mechanical repairs, parts sales, resto work. George uses Gillespie Coatings Olive Drab paint, it's widely known as one of the best paints on the market for Military vehicle resto's. George had a color developed to match late WWII through Korean war era Jeeps from NOS parts he had. It's a Semi-Gloss OD and what i decided to go with. Heres a pic of his color swatch, not very good but you get the idea. It's the AJP WWII. This will be sprayed in a few weeks.

ODpaintswatch.jpg

So, Gillespie Coatings paint works well? I was thinking about using it when I finally repainted my 88...

It's white, so it should cover well (even using a rattle-can,) but I wasn't quite sure about the paint itself.

Army Jeep Parts? I think that was where I found out about Gillespie paint in the first place...

5-90 said:
So, Gillespie Coatings paint works well? I was thinking about using it when I finally repainted my 88...

It's white, so it should cover well (even using a rattle-can,) but I wasn't quite sure about the paint itself.

Army Jeep Parts? I think that was where I found out about Gillespie paint in the first place...

Yeah Jon, it's good paint from what i have experienced. I have sprayed it alot in aerosol form, but the large body parts were done by the boss.

Unless things have changed in the last few years only AJP and another vendor in Texas are retailers for Gillespie. Paint can get pricey to ship when you add in the HAZ-Mat fees on gallons. Alot of the vendors sell tons of paint at shows so customers can save on the fees.

www.armyjeepparts.com

Back