• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another front hp44 thread

northwestxj

NAXJA Member #1283
I'm considering building up a hp d44 out of a 70's ford. I have mostly everything figured out except if I want to stay full-width or narrow it to xj or waggy width. I see benefits to both cases. I guess one of my biggest concerns is what I would do for a rear axle if I stayed full-width.

I currently have an xj d44 in the rear that was recently built up with a detroit, disc brakes, and 33 spline alloy shafts. I dont know as though I'm ready to ditch this quite yet. How many people are just running wheel spacers for the rear? Worthwhile, or would it be better to just sell my axle and build a 9" or something. Suggestions?

You could always sell it to me!

Okay, I just looked at a Comanche today that swapped in an isuzu D44 and it was too narrow, so he spaced it out. Looked fine to me. But. remember it's only going to give you a couple of inches width

northwestxj said:
I'm considering building up a hp d44 out of a 70's ford. I have mostly everything figured out except if I want to stay full-width or narrow it to xj or waggy width. I see benefits to both cases. I guess one of my biggest concerns is what I would do for a rear axle if I stayed full-width.

I currently have an xj d44 in the rear that was recently built up with a detroit, disc brakes, and 33 spline alloy shafts. I dont know as though I'm ready to ditch this quite yet. How many people are just running wheel spacers for the rear? Worthwhile, or would it be better to just sell my axle and build a 9" or something. Suggestions?

Just put 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 adaptor/spacer on the rear, as 5x5.5 will be what the front 44 is.I know alot of guys that run that setup with both the d44 and the 8.8.

Sean

90exjay said:
Just put 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 adaptor/spacer on the rear, as 5x5.5 will be what the front 44 is.I know alot of guys that run that setup with both the d44 and the 8.8.

Sean

Ya, I have thought about this, but dont really know if I want to run spacers or not...also am having a tough time deciding if I would even want to run full width or not. Have read alot of threads debating it, and I'm still not sure. Would definitely help for stability, but I'm thinking that it would almost be too wide for some of the trails here in the PNW with tight trees and ruts that seem to be more for stock width jeeps.

90exjay said:
You would want to narrow the front to waggy width, then use spacers for the back.Several rigs around here have that and run our trails very well.

Sean

If I narrowed the front to waggy width I wouldnt need to run spacers cause I have an XJ 44 rear. WMS on it is like 60.5" and the waggy front is like 61"...not enough difference to matter. I could see running spacers if I had an 8.8 maybe.

But I'm actually debating not cutting down the front at all though. Would be an early 70's ford housing so its WMS is like 65". Then if I ran 1.5" spacers in the back on each side I would be about the same.

I do agree about the waggy width for most of our trails here though. I am very happy with my current width (stock width axles on 3.75 back spaced wheels) which is why I'm thinking it may be too wide if I dont narrow it.

Back