• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

longer driveshaft

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
i just lifted my 88' xj 3" with an RC lift and new leaf packs. now it seems like my rear driveshaft is just long enough to sit maybe about 2" in the transfercase splines. i want to lift another 1.5" and will be dropping the transfercase 1" but am worried that the driveshaft will not be long enough. is this something i should be concerned about or iw it not a problem? if it is a concern what can i do(keep in mind i don't want to spend a whole lot of money) thanks guys:spin1:

i was told by a few people that i would not need one if i stayed under 5" and used a transfercase drop. is that true? also do i have to worry about the front driveshaft too?

By the time you spend the money on a custom driveshaft and transfercase drop, you'd be better off with the SYE and ZJ or XJ front ds.

yeah, X2, get one. I'm at 4.5" with only a 1" drop and at high way speeds when i let off the gas it makes noise, i've been told that at the angle everythings at it is pulling down on the shaft that goes into the t case and putting pressure in the bearing. not good in the long run so a SYE is in my near future for sure. Not to mention i get vibes under hard exceleration.

splitz said:
By the time you spend the money on a custom driveshaft and transfercase drop, you'd be better off with the SYE and ZJ or XJ front ds.

More info on the ZJ or XJ front DS please. I thought a custom DS had to be made after the SYE install.

Thx,

John

P.S. I am baaaack finally after a 2 year hiatus. I just picked up a 97 :)

Nope, all you need is a CV driveshaft. The front DS of an XJ and ZJ is a CV driveshaft that is about the proper length.

A 93 ZJ with the V8 has the longest DS i've found so far. I'm not sure what the compressed/extended length is, but it is definitely longer than the XJ DS by an inch or two that I have currently. If you have a stupid lift, I've heard you can use a YJ or TJ front DS, but I haven't personally confirmed that.

I am sitting around 4.5" with a hack n tap and a front DS from an auto XJ. had to get the one flange to bolt upto the sye adapter, but all is good. ended up putting 4* shims under the rear to get the pinion aimed properly.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that...the driveshafts I have used are from AUTO XJs and ZJs.

Instead of using shims, I used larger shackles.

splitz said:
Nope, all you need is a CV driveshaft. The front DS of an XJ and ZJ is a CV driveshaft that is about the proper length.

A 93 ZJ with the V8 has the longest DS i've found so far. I'm not sure what the compressed/extended length is, but it is definitely longer than the XJ DS by an inch or two that I have currently. If you have a stupid lift, I've heard you can use a YJ or TJ front DS, but I haven't personally confirmed that.

Wow..thats awesome. I have been looking at going with the 4.5 lift and SYE, but was concerned about the extra cost of a new driveshaft. This definately puts the fire under me now :)

Is there a write up on this anywhere.....I am anal and like to study everything before I do it.

Thx again,
JOhn

With the amount of lift you've got I'd go with the a XJ front driveshaft. The ZJ driveshaft might be too long. IIRC the XJ front drive shaft measure 33.5" when measured at the center of the slip joint travel.

don't think anyone said you could use the longer yj yoke. That for the auto or ax15 creeper?

I found this weekend that the front driveshaft from a 2000 or 01 with the low pinion is an inch longer than a stock front driveshaft from a HP dana 30. I managed to score one and i feel a little safer now at 5 inches. I was about to the limit of the stock front i used with my sye. Just thought i would throw that in for reference.

One of these days someone will start a drive shaft length thread...heck there maybe one I'm just too lazy to search since I already have 4 DSs!

Back