• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heat shield for muffler

rav

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to know where you buy the steel Zip ties for attaching a heat shield. I am thinking of getting some galvanized metal and wrap it over the flowmaster muffler and using zip ties to secure it.

advance auto has them, i imagine most other parts stores would too

Starboard M said:
I have never heard of metal zip ties.

Have you thought about exhaust clamps?
Nope, they are your normal zip tie but instead of plastic are made up of steel.

Thanks fir the advance auto idea, will give them a call.

Ravi

Blaine B. said:
Will this type of setup retain moisture or road salt? Noticed you live in New York...

Wouldn't want your muffler rotting out sooner.

Having just fixed the holes on this jeep by the old muffler, i really want to protect the floors. You have a very valid point, but the other option is to pop rivet a metal sheet on the floor itself but i do not own a rivet gun and do not know of any one who does.

any better ideas???

Thanks for the HF link, i have a HF store right where i work.

Ravi

rav said:
i do not own a rivet gun and do not know of any one who does.
Thanks for the HF link, i have a HF store right where i work.
Ravi
$7 for a rivet gun http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=7356

The method of attachment depends on if you want to put holes in your floor and possibly introduce possible rust spots or if you don't mind changing the heat shield when you do any muffler/exhaust mods.

Maybe if you made a head shield that had a considerable gap between the top of the muffler/cat and the shield....not just fitting against it where salt/mud/water could easily collect and sit.

My 97 has a pretty good muffler heat shield on the floor, maybe you could just use one off of a later jeep. Its pretty tough to as I set my jeep down on the muffler hard enough to push the floor up on that side, heat shield is still kicking.

I used one of those Air Bake cookie sheets for a heat shield with mine. I just used four self tapping screws and a couple nuts for spacers and that was it.

BlueCuda said:
My 97 has a pretty good muffler heat shield on the floor, maybe you could just use one off of a later jeep. Its pretty tough to as I set my jeep down on the muffler hard enough to push the floor up on that side, heat shield is still kicking.

Isn't that on the inside though, between the carpet and the floors?

That's just for cabin heat...if you want to protect the metal it'll have to be between the muffler/cat and the floor itself.

Do you know what series stainless the muffler is made of? There are certain grades of stainless that will rust.

Back