• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87-91 Oil Filter Adapter Info

Andy in Pa.

NAXJA Member #180
For those of you who have searched long and hard on this forum for info regarding the o-rings on the oil filter adapter housing on your 87-91 XJ/MJ, here are the part numbers you need.

You can only get these from a dealer, and they do not come all three in a kit like the later model (92-newer) do. I am not positive of the year cutoff of when they switched, but if your oil filter adapter housing is held on by a 5/8" Hex bolt, then you'll need these o-rings.

Part # 33002970 is .80" and goes on the shaft
Part # 33002971 is 1.30" and seals the bolt to the housing
Part # 33002972 is 2.48" and seals the housing to the block

It will run you about $10 from the dealer.

I also mounted the housing so it is horizontal, like the later models are mounted. This is easy to do, all you have to do is make sure the filter/housing have the clearance needed. I had to move my charcoal filter, but that was it. I used just a little bit of permatex on the o-rings just to garantee a good seal when I bolted it back on the block.

I searched for this o-ring info and checked out lots of write-ups, but could not find it after an hour of digging. I found lots of info on this subject with my search, but it all pertained to the later model XJ/MJ's (94-newer). If you have any questions about this, don't hesitate to ask.

Andy

So this is what you need to turn that stupid upside down filter horizonal and help stop the oil leak on my 88 XJ? Would you be willing to expand this to be an article or have you already done it?

AlabamaDan said:
So this is what you need to turn that stupid upside down filter horizonal and help stop the oil leak on my 88 XJ? Would you be willing to expand this to be an article or have you already done it?

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoOilAdaptorOrings.htm

http://www.madxj.com/ then click on it in the items listed

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/filter.html

These are the three write-ups I found pertaining to this subject. They were all very helpful, but the only thing missing from these write-ups is the part numbers of the o-rings for the 87-91 (Renix Style) oil filter adapter housing. I provided them above. One of the write-ups (I think its the go.jeep one) even shows how the Renix style adapter housing can be mounted horizontal, the same as the later model adapters. The only problem I had when I tried to do this was the black charcoal canister (about 4" in diameter and 8" tall) was in the way. I removed the factory bracketry and put the canister under the tray for the overflow bottle. It fit in there quite nicely. I hope this helps

Andy in Pa. said:
you'll need these o-rings.

Part # 33002970 is .80" and goes on the shaft
Part # 33002971 is 1.30" and seals the bolt to the housing
Part # 33002972 is 2.48" and seals the housing to the block

It will run you about $10 from the dealer.
If you have any questions about this, don't hesitate to ask.

Andy

"regular stock" items -- or did they have to orded them?

Shorty said:
"regular stock" items -- or did they have to orded them?

Could go either way...the first three dealerships I called didn't have them in stock but could get them the next day, the fourth dealership I called had them in stock on the shelf.

A.

Andy in Pa. said:
Could go either way...the first three dealerships I called didn't have them in stock but could get them the next day, the fourth dealership I called had them in stock on the shelf.

A.

thanx-- I'll plan a day or two ahead JIC!

Back