• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I got a dillema...

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so I'm sitting at about 5" of lift up front and I'm running LCAs for 4.5" of lift. My alignment is fine and I like how it rides... But the pinion angle and driveshaft apear to be off by quite a bit. I mean, something like 15 degrees. I didn't think that this would be a problem with only 5 inches of lift. I seem to be getting some pretty significant vibes from it too up above 45 mph.

I have stock uppers on the jeep, but the LCAs being shorter than for the application should turn the pinion upward resulting in a better angle, but it still seems like it's off by quite a damn bit.

Someone tell me if this is alright or not, I mean, in 2wd the front DS is just spinning free up to the chain but it is giving me vibes.

Do people run CV joints up at the pinion????

anybody? I know this driveline crap sucks but has anyone had problems like this above 4 inches of lift?

polar_jeep_04 said:
you need longer uppers, or better adj. uppers and lowers

X2

hmm.... even if I got longer uppers, would it rotate my pinion up far enough?

you need upper's and lower's, preferably adjustable so an alignment shop can set you up right.

don't forget the adjustable trackbar

2 to 3 are about the limit for an XJ. anything higher and you have to start dealing with offset axle, camber, caster issues. these need to be corrected, if you are at 5. If not, you are wreck waiting to happen.

yeah, I've got the adjustable trac bar... fuck. wouldn't it just be easier to get a custom driveshaft that has a CV joint at both ends? I know a guy that does custom DSs...

ia green96 said:
2 to 3 are about the limit for an XJ. anything higher and you have to start dealing with offset axle, camber, caster issues. these need to be corrected, if you are at 5. If not, you are wreck waiting to happen.

Umm, I'm not retarded.

I have LCAs for a 4.5 inch lift. I'm pretty sure I said that.
I have stock UCAs but I'm sure you don't NEED longer UCAs until you get above 4.5 inches of lift.
And I do have an adjustable tracbar.

that will help your driveline angle your pinion will still be off. rought country make good lower cost control arms (adjustable) 150 for a set or 300 upper and lowers (i would do it right the first time and go long arm!!!)

ty20404 said:
Umm, I'm not retarded.

I have stock UCAs but I'm sure you don't NEED longer UCAs until you get above 4.5 inches of lift.

you also said you are over 4.5" of lift so you do NEED uppers

polar_jeep_04 said:
you also said you are over 4.5" of lift so you do NEED uppers

true, BUT like i said in my first post; my pinion appears to be off my way more than a 0.25 inch adjustment in length would correct.

Besides, having the shorter LCAs for the lift actually turn the pinion up. Think about it.

ty20404 said:
yeah, I've got the adjustable trac bar... fuck. wouldn't it just be easier to get a custom driveshaft that has a CV joint at both ends? I know a guy that does custom DSs...

I wouldn't do it, but then again you don't seem to value anyone's oppinion

i agree the 4.5" lowers will pull the axle back, BUT the too short stock uppers will pull it back even farther. the longer upper will help set your pinion back, but not push you axle back forward where it needs to go.

ty20404 said:
true, BUT like i said in my first post; my pinion appears to be off my way more than a 0.25 inch adjustment in length would correct.

Besides, having the shorter LCAs for the lift actually turn the pinion up. Think about it.

you need to be Not so worried about pinion angle & get the axle located first. caster & camber. worry about SAFE over vibes.

polar_jeep_04 said:
there is nothing wrong with your drive shaft so dont try and fix whats not broke. fix you axle. get your adjustments right. my .02

x2, that's what I was saying

Why wouldn't you do a CV joint on the pinion end? Just curious, I haven't seen anyone do it, but I haven't read anywhere why you shouldn't.

and polar jeep, I don't see how that makes sense. I just looked here and the difference b/w what I SHOULD have on the uppers and what I have is approx. 1/4 of an inch. And the difference b/w what I SHOULD have and what I have on the lowers is approx. 1/8 of an inch. So yes, it would pop the pinion up a tad, but like i said, not nearly enough to point the pinion straight at the yoke. Back to the main point, does no one ever get problems with their front pinion being off even with appropriate Control arms?

And about your post not making sense... why wouldn't you want to push your axle back forward.

And Yes, I do value, people's opinions, why would I ask if i didn't care?

ia green96 said:
you need to be Not so worried about pinion angle & get the axle located first. caster & camber. worry about SAFE over vibes.

it's safe. I've had it aligned, drove it all the way from Charlotte to Wilmington to Syracuse, NY in the last week. Been all the way up to 90 mph, the only thing that's a PITA is when the wind catches you... but then again, it's a flying brick. how aerodynamic can it be?

Back