• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What should I do to my '95 XJ

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
One of my friends who went out and ran the NAXJA run at Calico last fall told me REMI was able to do the run very well and I might want to learn what he has done to his XJ. So my question is "what should I do first to my stock '95 XJ? (4.0. AW4, 8.25 rearend)" And what has REMI done to his that I should set as a longer range goal?

Detroit front and rear. 4.56 gears. Alloy shafts and good joints for the front, alloy shafts for the rear. Truss the front, maybe the rear. Rock sliders for sure. skid for the tank, skid for the Tcase. Heavy duty steering (1 ton, etc.) 6 inch short arm with drop brackets lift, trim fenders, 35 inch rubber. Good bumpers, winch in front, spare in rear. Roll Cage. Carry spare parts and toools.

With this setup, you can run 95% of local trails with very little effort.

wow. I never thought I'd see a "What Would Remi Do?" thread.

Don't forget remi has a teralow transfercase, although with an automatic its not really needed.

tgregg said:
One of my friends told me REMI was able to do the run very well and I might want to learn what he has done to his XJ.

:roflmao:

You need a chicken on the hood and a red/herculiner/green paint job.

MJR said:

Don't forget the wheel o' fortune tire carrier!:spin3:

Joking aside, the question is, "What do YOU want to do WITH your rig?"

Rock crawler, go fast ala Jeepspeed, exploration/expedition rig or some sort of compromise.

Do you need the reliabilty to have to get the rig home under it's own power or is being towed home? Flat-towed or on a trailer?

Answer that then build with that goal in mind.

tgregg said:
One of my friends who went out and ran the NAXJA run at Calico last fall told me REMI was able to do the run very well and I might want to learn what he has done to his XJ. So my question is "what should I do first to my stock '95 XJ? (4.0. AW4, 8.25 rearend)" And what has REMI done to his that I should set as a longer range goal?
well I got front and rear detroits with 4.88s. You'd be limited to 4.56's with your axle but as others have asked the big question is what kind of a rig you want? My red XJ is an all around rig (or at least I like to think so) and it will both let me wheel and also get me to and from the trails (even if they're as far as Moab).

cal said:
wow. I never thought I'd see a "What Would Remi Do?" thread.
Yeah, this is a scary thought

Don't forget remi has a teralow transfercase, although with an automatic its not really needed.
Last fall? Well if it's this fall then I had teralow. Last fall I did not have teralow.

tgregg said:

:eek:

Doesn't Remi have Rhino Liner on the lower half of his XJ??

Big question like others have asked, "What do you want out of it?" .. Do you want a daily driver that's a capable rig off-road? Which can be done... Do you a nice driver and be able to keep up on mild or medium runs? Do you a trail only rig? Do you want the most capable rig that's barely street legal??

Once you figure that out, then we could give you suggestions. Learn from our projects. I think most of us would do something different if we would we were to start over again. It's a long process, but fun.

Just remember that I think most of us are really never done modifying our rigs.

E

MJR said:

the hood chicken is to wheelers what type r stickers are to ricers. they're the part that gets you over the top.

Kejtar said:
hey... don't go giving away all my secrets!

I've got a gold one brewing.... my jeep is gonna look like Smokey and the Bandit

JohnX said:
Detroit front and rear. 4.56 gears. Alloy shafts and good joints for the front, alloy shafts for the rear. Truss the front, maybe the rear. Rock sliders for sure. skid for the tank, skid for the Tcase. Heavy duty steering (1 ton, etc.) 6 inch short arm with drop brackets lift, trim fenders, 35 inch rubber. Good bumpers, winch in front, spare in rear. Roll Cage. Carry spare parts and toools.

With this setup, you can run 95% of local trails with very little effort.

Well John, with that description you should just sell him yours.....

Justin

Kejtar said:
sweeeeeeeeeeeet Yuu know that you'll have to jump a bridge then though, right?

note to self: truss d30 first.

xjjeeper19 said:
Well John, with that description you should just sell him yours.....

Justin
Nope...I'm still missing the cage.

I was describing Remi's, but I changed the gear ratio to match the limits of his 8.25, I also left out the 4:1 because he has an auto.

But yeah, it does sound a lot like mine :D

While a fully built rig would be fun, someone mentioned being able to run most of the local trails with "very little effort."

I guess I'm a fan of the underdog...I'd prefer to be at minimum spec for a trail and be challenged to pick the correct lines, rather than built to overkill for a particular route and drive through it with the same amount of effort it takes to drive through Del Taco... :)

xL8 APEKSx said:
While a fully built rig would be fun, someone mentioned being able to run most of the local trails with "very little effort."

I guess I'm a fan of the underdog...I'd prefer to be at minimum spec for a trail and be challenged to pick the correct lines, rather than built to overkill for a particular route and drive through it with the same amount of effort it takes to drive through Del Taco... :)
In that case 2 lockers on 33's and 4.56's or 4.88's is a nice all around rig (though I'd recommend 4.88's). To that about 4~4.5" of lift and a winch for SHTF moments and you're set.

xL8 APEKSx said:

When I was on 31's w/3.55 gearing I was uncomfortable with the amount of skinny pedal needed to get through some obstacles. I alwys had that thought at the back of my head that I was gonna break something.

Back