• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No power to wheels

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
1985 XJ, 2.5L, AX5, NP231- just to get it out of the way.

sorry about the long post, but here she goes...
I went wheeling, and within the first thirty minuites on the trails, I started smelling cluch and seeing smoke. Found a flat spot, stopped, let things cool down. The smoke was coming out of my Bellhousing, where the trans meets the block. I didnt have very good pedal pressure when it was smoking. After things cooled down, i got back in, pressed the pedal down, and it felt fine. We continued up the trails, getting stuck in ditches (snows pretty slick with my tires...), etc. I was fine untill we started back to the highway, I to go through a mud hole. got up some speed, and it was tougher than i thought. Front pumper hit, and stopped very abruptly. spent an hour playing with two jeeps attatched to me and lots of clutch work. we let everything cool down after we got it out, and i had good pedal presure. we then continued to the main road. I was in 4lo, between 3rd and 4th gear, and i was reving alot higher than i thought i should have been, and dcided to go into 4hi. same thing was happening in 4hi, revving alot higher than i know i shoulda been. we stopped, and i shifted into 2hi, tried to go, and no power. it didnt slip after we got out of the mud, and then slowly started to loose power. i dont have any power goijng to the wheels, and i can shift through all the gears without the cluch. all the linkage is working, everythings connected. Oh and i have just about normal pedal pressure.

this sound like my clutch is toast to anyone? Just wanna make sure before i go tearing into my tansmission. one of the other guys that was on the run with us said he thinks my clutch is packed with mud. how hard would it be to clean out if thats the case?

again, i appologise for the long post with many spelling errors. I didnt want to leave anything out incase there might be a dciding factor somewhere in there.

haha, yeah, smells awful. you shoulda been there to see the smoke show, rod.
I'm assuming you saw pictures of the mud hole too?

How hard is it to do a clutch on one of these things, anyways?

Last edited:
yep.....and trust me with out even being there i can imagine what revin up that clutch in the mud has done to your clutch disk. me thinks you'll be needin a new one.
icon10.gif

hha yeah. me too. my friend and i are gonna drop the trans tomorrow hopefully, and see how bad it is. I'll post pictures when we get it apart.

How expencive are they for XJ's? not too spendy i would hope.

Back