• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Master install kit for new gears?

rooneypower

NAXJA Forum User
Do I really need to buy the master install kit that comes with new gears?
Or can i just buy the ring and pinion?

My jeep has a little over 108K on it. Would i need to replace the bearings and stuff that comes with the master install.

I'm on a limited budget because of all the other stuff i've been buying..

Thanks.

I am, One of my good friends have done gears before and knows what he is doing.
I am mainly asking this question because between the master install kit and just gears there is like a $500 difference...

you gonna buy shims, pinion nut, seal all seperate???? Get the kit! X2 on ask you friend, if he knows what he is doing.

rooneypower said:
I am mainly asking this question because between the master install kit and just gears there is like a $500 difference...

No way! Give Randys R&P a call, 1-866-631-0196. I set my own stuff up and I use Yukon gears, never had a problem. The Yukon master install kits are almost always Timken brgs and good qaulity seals.

rooneypower said:
so your best off buying the master install set??

Yes I always do, that allows me to do use the old bearings as set-up bearings(grind the center out so they do not have to be pressed on and off). This saves a bunch of time. Setting up gears will require putting it together and taking it apart a few times.

You will get new seals with the kit, no use using seals with 100k on them. You will get pinion shims and carrier shims(if required, the 8.25 uses adjuster cups like the 9" and the Toy rears do). New bearings never hurt and I would hate to have to tear back into a fresh gear set just to replace a roaring bearing!

rooneypower said:
Does anyone know where i could possibly get a deal on something like this??

I already looked at Randys Ring & Pinion..

Where in WA are you? Try Central 4 Wheel Drive in Kent. 253-872-7334 -or- 800-829-9599. Talk to Bill.

rooneypower said:

Two master overhaul kits do not cost $500. My Dana 30 kit was $86.05 and the Chrysler 8.25 was $81.85 fron Reider Racing. Both kits are Precision Gear Brand with Timken bearings. Spend the money and do it right the first time!!!

I too was going to suggest calling Reider Racing. Ask if they have any specials going on, if you are buying front and rear gears + install kits they will usually do something for you.

ok so im gonna go with Reider Racing. But i dont really know about what i need. I looked at their website and i just got really confused.

This is what i want: both front and rear gears with master install kits.

This is what i have: 97 XJ Sport 4.0L dana 30 up front (Is it reverse gears?) and a 8.25 in the rear.

I would like to get 4.56 gear ratios. Could someone please point me in the right direction here. (More or less what i need:))

Thanks

rooneypower said:
ok so im gonna go with Reider Racing. But i dont really know about what i need. I looked at their website and i just got really confused.

This is what i want: both front and rear gears with master install kits.

This is what i have: 97 XJ Sport 4.0L dana 30 up front (Is it reverse gears?) and a 8.25 in the rear.

I would like to get 4.56 gear ratios. Could someone please point me in the right direction here. (More or less what i need:))

Thanks

Try a local shop who can HELP YOU LEARN what you need. Saving a few bucks on the Internet makes sense if you know WTF you're doing. ;)

Back