• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Herculiner for looks...

totipo16

NAXJA Forum User
The previous owner of my jeep did a haphazard job of maintaining the paint on the XJ, and as a result it has begun to crack and peel...most moticeably on the roof and hood. I have been thinking about using herculiner for the roof, after some rust treatment, to take care of the problem instead of paying an arm and leg at the paint shop...what do you all think, is herculiner an acceptable form of adornment for XJ's (obviously no real need for that type of protection on the roof, hopefully)???

My lower quarters are painted with bedliner and I like it. I would definitely make damn sure that's what you want to use b/c removing it will be unpleasant. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Who sees what the roof looks like anyway? I completely understand though if it bothers you. I just replaced my front fenders and they were black and my Jeep is white. At first I didn't care but then it began to bother me. I just ratle canned them with white primer. I did check into getting the factory paint in aerosal form. It's possible but to do it right, the paint was probably gonna run me about 140ish. I figured for that much dough I could prep the fenders and take it to Macco and have them shoot it. I'd look into that option if I wanted to take care of the roof. I'm getting to the point where I don't care too much what my Jeep looks like but I used to have horrible problems with OCD.

Several folks around here have done full bedliner every where. Looked OK. Is it all the paint thats shotty or just the clear coat?

I have a JCR stage 1 front bumper on my '01 and I herculined it. It looks really good. I had orginally rattle canned the bumper black and then rough sanded it so the herculine would stick which turned out to be a blessing in disguise:

My XJ is white and I did the top of my rear bumper w/ herculine. It was all scratched and chipped from loading and unloading, and the white definately comes through. I thought I was pretty thorough w/ prepping, so just make damn sure if you go the herculine route that you prep very well.

Also, the herculine will NOT stay that pretty gloosy shade. It will fade to flat pretty quick.

Back