• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Side trim??

harwood39

NAXJA Forum User
How is the side trim attatched on a 97+ xj?? I have a 4 door 98 and am doing some armor (1/4s, doors, and fenders). I dont wanna cut extra off while making the armor to clear the side trim if it will get ripped off easily on the trail. I would rather remove it now than have to remake my armor later.

the side trim should be held on by double sided tape on the doors, and metal retainers on the rear 1/4 for the rear bumper end cap (should be like the ones used to hold the fender flares on) hope this helps.

Ya the side trim comes off pulling by hand. Sometimes a little tricky to get started but after that it peels right off. You can use a heat gun to soften up the extra tape it leaves behind and roll it up on itself to get it all off. The side trim is ugly anyway IMO, looks a lot better without the faded plastic.

Thanks, i know about the rear bumper caps. Just wasnt sure if jeep used clips for the doors like most cars or just used double sided tape. Removing them this afternoon. (should be fun since it is 10 degrees out...) Than starting the armor work later this week.

If you want, you can hold some fishing line and "floss" it between the trim and the door to kind of cut the double-stick tape. Then I'd use something like goo-gone/off to clean it up. It isn't that bad.

ya, im going to use goo-gone, it peeled right off and since it was so cold barely left anything on the doors. So it wont be hard to remove the rest with goo-gone. I think i wanna run a car fax, just to see if anything shows up, the entire pass side has been repainted. lines under flares when i pulled those, over spray peeling under them and under the trim now. I think it was in a lil accident before i bought it. o well.

why not just tape them off and paint them, they do protect your doors somewhat

Back