• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seats....

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
ok, I'm thinking it's time for me to get some decent seats into the jeep but I don't know the first thing as to what I'm looking for. I want something that's fairly all around: comfy and sturdy and takes a full harness. Does not necessarily have to recline though that would be a nice feature. So.... what is out there? what is good and what is not?

Mastercraft, PRP, Beard, Corbeau, all are suspension seats and have provisions to take harnesses. They have different variaties for higher bolsters and backs, heated, harness design, etc.

I have PRP Comp Highback's in my XJ. They are not exactly a "bolt in" mod. I don't know of anyone who has a bolt in slider replacement for a cherokee. But with some fab they can be made to work.

PRP and Mastercraft have reclining versions and the others may as well.

Kejtar said:
ok, I'm thinking it's time for me to get some decent seats into the jeep but I don't know the first thing as to what I'm looking for. I want something that's fairly all around: comfy and sturdy and takes a full harness. Does not necessarily have to recline though that would be a nice feature. So.... what is out there? what is good and what is not?
Mastercraft seats are really nice but more on the $pricey" side, I have Beard Ultras and they are very comfortable, the Beard super seats are a bit cheaper but not quite as cushy, PRP makes some nice seats, I have a set of Hunsaker Envy seats here, they are ok but much cheaper than the others listed, they are made a few miles from my shop, all those listed accept full harnesses. I'm not sure if you have a cage but it is generally a bad idea to use harnesses w/out one, I'm sure you know this but thought it would be worth mentioning for others that may be reading this thread. Good luck, I know the guys over at hunsaker if you wanted me to set you up, I could probably get you a better deal if you wanted to go that route. The beard and prp seats have tabs for mounting, regular width are 14" x 18" with the wider version being 16" x 18" just fyi.
good luck
Chris

Skullvarian said:
Mastercraft seats are really nice but more on the $pricey" side, I have Beard Ultras and they are very comfortable, the Beard super seats are a bit cheaper but not quite as cushy, PRP makes some nice seats, I have a set of Hunsaker Envy seats here, they are ok but much cheaper than the others listed, they are made a few miles from my shop, all those listed accept full harnesses. I'm not sure if you have a cage but it is generally a bad idea to use harnesses w/out one, I'm sure you know this but thought it would be worth mentioning for others that may be reading this thread. Good luck, I know the guys over at hunsaker if you wanted me to set you up, I could probably get you a better deal if you wanted to go that route. The beard and prp seats have tabs for mounting, regular width are 14" x 18" with the wider version being 16" x 18" just fyi.
good luck
Chris
Yup, good point: no cage = no harness ;) I should have listed that I have a cage. Where is Hunsaker at? I might swing by and see what the seats feel like and then see what happens. I'm actually looking at their syncro and envy seats and can't decide ;)

On the other hand I think I also like the looks of the Red Art enduro seats... but... that's like double the price.

Kejtar said:
Yup, good point: no cage = no harness ;) I should have listed that I have a cage. Where is Hunsaker at? I might swing by and see what the seats feel like and then see what happens. I'm actually looking at their syncro and envy seats and can't decide ;)

On the other hand I think I also like the looks of the Red Art enduro seats... but... that's like double the price.
They are very friendly over there, the guy to talk to is Chad. The address is alluding me at the moment but it is in downtown Ventura(93003), they have all the seats at that location for test sitting, it is more of a manufacturing location as they like to ship most of the seats but I'm sure they could accommodate you. let me know if you are heading this way!
Chris

Skullvarian said:
They are very friendly over there, the guy to talk to is Chad. The address is alluding me at the moment but it is in downtown Ventura(93003), they have all the seats at that location for test sitting, it is more of a manufacturing location as they like to ship most of the seats but I'm sure they could accommodate you. let me know if you are heading this way!
Chris
Hmmm I'm tempted to call a M&G in Ventura sometime next week and then just swing by to do the "test fit" :) I'll let you know either way.

Thanks

Remi go over to Beard/Red Art in Anaheim and check out the Enduro seats.

Same ones I have in my Jeep.

Kejtar said:
Hmmm I'm tempted to call a M&G in Ventura sometime next week and then just swing by to do the "test fit" :) I'll let you know either way.

Thanks

I've been looking at them too, I'd be up for that.

Oh, and being a Mastercraft friend I am also not real happy about the fact that I put Hunsakers in the JK, but I didn't hear the story before it. They knocked off Mastercraft's seats in China.

They not only knocked them off, but talked their way into a Mastercraft jobber account, and then bought them at a discount to send over to China. They aren't made in the US.

Not only that but they aren't anywhere near as comfortable as the real deal.

WheelinJR said:
Oh, and being a Mastercraft friend I am also not real happy about the fact that I put Hunsakers in the JK, but I didn't hear the story before it. They knocked off Mastercraft's seats in China.

They not only knocked them off, but talked their way into a Mastercraft jobber account, and then bought them at a discount to send over to China.

I'm just curious if you have any proof to back up these accusations?

jmop said:
Mastercraft, PRP, Beard, Corbeau, all are suspension seats and have provisions to take harnesses. They have different variaties for higher bolsters and backs, heated, harness design, etc.

I have PRP Comp Highback's in my XJ. They are not exactly a "bolt in" mod. I don't know of anyone who has a bolt in slider replacement for a cherokee. But with some fab they can be made to work.

PRP and Mastercraft have reclining versions and the others may as well.

Can you post up some pictures of the seats?

WheelinJR said:

They not only knocked them off, but talked their way into a Mastercraft jobber account, and then bought them at a discount to send over to China. They aren't made in the US.

I call BS, if they are not as comfortable what exactly did they "knock-off" they are seats man, if you look at a lot of the suspension seats out there they are similar in design. The beard and the PRP I had were almost identical differing only in aesthetics, same mounting etc. but different materials, different piping etc. They may be made in China(I haven't checked) but it is definitely a budget option for those not willing to spend three times as much(at least) per seat for the mastercrafts. I highly doubt they are even direct competitors anyways, they cater to different markets.

Beards are made right here in Anaheim.

I have a corbeau seat. It definitely helps my back on those longer trips, more comfortable than the seats in my 05 civic. You can also buy a sliding adapter for the Cherokee from corbeau, but it is expensive at $87. kind of a necessity if you can't fab, which i cant

kenny

Skullvarian said:
I call BS, if they are not as comfortable what exactly did they "knock-off" they are seats man, if you look at a lot of the suspension seats out there they are similar in design. The beard and the PRP I had were almost identical differing only in aesthetics, same mounting etc. but different materials, different piping etc. They may be made in China(I haven't checked) but it is definitely a budget option for those not willing to spend three times as much(at least) per seat for the mastercrafts. I highly doubt they are even direct competitors anyways, they cater to different markets.

Well, calling BS or not, that's the information I got from a source I'd trust.

The difference to me seems like a real lack of quality coating (mine had paint or powder coat chipped off right out of the box) and the mastercrafts seem to have alot more padding.

hey remi go PRP.

Made in murrieta.

you can get them in camo :D

jack (ctm guy) has them in his buggy and the feel amazing! super durable fabric and removable optional electric heated ass cushion.

for the price you could try some hunsaker icons. they look super and the price aint so bad.

troy stegall works for mastercraft, you could try and twist his arm into seeing if he could get you some decent pricing.

Back