• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C9.25 axle vent bolt seized

Archdukeferdinand

NAXJA Forum User
Running some new brakelines on boss's 99 ram 1500 today and when I went to put on the new brake hose the vent/bolt that holds the "T" down was COMPLETELY seized.

(I know its not jeep tech but the setup on this is exactly the same as on the C8.25 so I'm hoping someone here will have a bright idea).

I tried wrenches, impact wrench, pounding on a 12-pt socked of the next smallest size, pipewrench, channel locks, lots of PB blaster, a chisel & mini-sledge, ended up just grinding off the head of the bolt and STILL getting the "T" off was a mega bitch.

I'd normally try heat but its right next to the gas tank and I was worried about setting gear oil on fire. Ditto those worries on welding a nut to it to drive it out.

I'd really rather not drill and tap, the idea of putting those metal shavings in there doesn't excite me nor does the prospect of having to tear the axle apart to get them out...

So anyone have a bright idea or have dealt with this before? I have enough of a stub to hold down the brake "T" and I could jank something together for the breather- this isn't a wheeler so I'm not too worried about him putting his axle underwater...

Back