• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Saturday Day trip to JV

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
I planted the seed, lets see if this idea sticks. I am working on freeing up next Saturday so that I can make a day trip to JV.

Seeing as this would be my first time out to JV and only my second XJ run, I am going to need some advise/info.

What trail to run?
Where, when and who to meet up with for the appropriate run?

88trailcrawler said:
I planted the seed, lets see if this idea sticks. I am working on freeing up next Saturday so that I can make a day trip to JV.

Seeing as this would be my first time out to JV and only my second XJ run, I am going to need some advise/info.

What trail to run?
Where, when and who to meet up with for the appropriate run?

I will be doing this trip in a single day as well. I live in Lake Forest and will be leaving no later than 5:30 AM. We can meet somewhere and caravan out there. I plan on running Clawhammer. I will be staying for the BBQ & raffle, then driving home.

I did this a couple of years ago and got home at 1:30 AM. It's a long day, but very fun!

As for trials, it depends on your rig. Look at the other posts about the trails. You will need to meet minimum specs for the more difficult runs.

Are you locked front and/or rear? What size tires? Got tow points Front and rear? Rock rails? As a first timer in JV and second XJ run, I would do the easy run. If you are locked with 33s, then you could tackle lower big johnson and tackhammer but its always good to start JV lightly since there is no terrain like it.

Robert- I would be in for a caravan. I'd be coming from the 405/605 intersection.

I am on 33's with front and rear lockers, sliders and recovery points. Considering the trails are from "mild to wild" I guess I am looking for something that might be considered wild to the stock rigs, but would be considered mild to the rock crawling buggies.

I like to crawl along nice and slow.

For comparison, I felt pretty good about last weekends Calico run. The one drop off on the way down Doran did leave a mark underneath. So something along those lines, I could go a bit more challenging if there is going to be spotters along the way.

88trailcrawler said:
Robert- I would be in for a caravan. I'd be coming from the 405/605 intersection.

I am on 33's with front and rear lockers, sliders and recovery points. Considering the trails are from "mild to wild" I guess I am looking for something that might be considered wild to the stock rigs, but would be considered mild to the rock crawling buggies.

For comparison, I felt pretty good about last weekends Calico run. The one drop off on the way down Doran did leave a mark underneath. So something along those lines, I could go a bit more challenging if there is going to be spotters along the way.

Cool - we will set-up a meeting spot and time next week.

As for trails, I concur with Josh. Lower Big Johnson is probably your best choice. Clawhammer might be a little more than you wat to try, but you are equipped for it.

88trailcrawler said:

The big question is what axles are you running? You have the ability to run Claw, or even Sledge, but both can be hard on axle shafts.

Goatman said:
The big question is what axles are you running? You have the ability to run Claw, or even Sledge, but both can be hard on axle shafts.

D44 rear, D30 with alloys up front. 4:56's. Honeslty, I am an XJ end user, you could get the set up details from Ryan, he set it up this summer.

I did a little more reading, I am thinking my XJ could run Claw, but I am a newbie, don't carry spare parts and wouldn't be much help on a trail fix anyway, so I am thinking LBJ?

The XJ has to get me home and get my kid to school on Monday.

Hey John. No worries...I'm thinking about LBJ as well.

I ran LBJ once before. I think it's similar to last week. Don't remember too much, though. I do remember a big boulder at the end. :)

88trailcrawler said:
D44 rear, D30 with alloys up front. 4:56's. Honeslty, I am an XJ end user, you could get the set up details from Ryan, he set it up this summer.

I did a little more reading, I am thinking my XJ could run Claw, but I am a newbie, don't carry spare parts and wouldn't be much help on a trail fix anyway, so I am thinking LBJ?

The XJ has to get me home and get my kid to school on Monday.

If I was you I'd run Claw. I'm assuming Ryan put your front axle together with 760x u-joints and snap rings, and if so you're well set up to run Clawhammer. You'd have fun, and it's a much longer trail than Tackhammer and LBJ.

The thing is to drive the high spots, tires on the big rocks, so you have less chance of hanging up on your diffs. Be careful when climbing with your front tires turned, try to always climb with the tires straight and then turn as you come up.

You're going to have fun, :)

Hey guys,

I will look at the map over the next day or so and try to figure out the best place and time to meet.

I plan on going out the 10 to the 247. I figure we can all meet around the the 215/10 interchange. Maybe Waterman at the McDonald's right there or I think there is a Burger King. I think 6:00 meeting time, depart at 6:15. That will give us about 2 hours to make it to camp.

rpraterxj said:
Hey guys,

I will look at the map over the next day or so and try to figure out the best place and time to meet.

I plan on going out the 10 to the 247. I figure we can all meet around the the 215/10 interchange. Maybe Waterman at the McDonald's right there or I think there is a Burger King. I think 6:00 meeting time, depart at 6:15. That will give us about 2 hours to make it to camp.

well this is my area, there is a 76 fuel station over off the waterman exit, why not meet there? or are you looking for breakfast before you trail on to jv? let me know, ill more than likely be there...no mj though, cant drive stick right now!

mgt said:
I was thinking of meeting off the 215/60 and take the 60 out to the 10

Yeah, I thought about that this morning. I will not be going out to the 215/10 interchange. My route will be the 241 to the 91 to the 60 to the 10.

Maybe meet at McKinley exit near the 15 and 91 interchange? I will look to see what is right there, I know there are a couple of as stations. I should be there around 5:30. I have decided I will be leaving my house at 5:00, not 5:30.

Or maybe there is a place along the 60 that will be easier. Any advice?

I will have my CB on channel 4. My cell is 714-319-7135.

Who's in?

If this is not "on your route", maybe we can meet in a second place to pick-up a few others?

Last edited:
hellbilly04 said:
I'm in for the Saturday trip! First time to JV :guitar:

Sweet! We will have a nice little group driving in that morning!
What trail do you think you want to run?

I recommend Clawhammer - the moderate run. I have never ran it, but I have seen pics and talked to fokls I usually wheel with. They have run it and say it is great.

You could do the easier run that will introduce you to JV and provide some fun and challenge. I would not recommend the harder trails, where the buggy guys go, but there are some full body guys running it. You will get body damage on those trails. Of course, there is always the possibility of damage anywhere....

Last edited:
Clawhammer sounds like fun & not really interested in an easy run..Guess I will follow you agian as I had a great time in BB!

rpraterxj said:
Sweet! We will have a nice little group driving in that morning!
What trail do you think you want to run?

I recommend Clawhammer - the moderate run. I have never ran it, but I have seen pics and talked to fokls I usually wheel with. They have run it and say it is great.

You could do the easier run that will introduce you to JV and provide some fun and challenge. I would not recommend the harder trails, where the buggy guys go, but there are some full body guys running it. You will get body damage on those trails. Of course, there is always the possibility of damage anywhere....

There are only a couple of what you might call buggy trails. Other than those couple, we have run everything out there in full bodied XJ's, many times. The issue is strong enough axles and not being too concerned about body damage.

Clawhammer is not an easy trail, it is full on rockcrawling, it just doesn't have some of the more difficult obstacles that the other trails have, and is more open so less chance of body damage. There are plenty of optional difficult lines on Claw.

One more time, since we're going to have trail sign up sheets set out Fri night so we can plan for Sat's runs, it would help if you folks coming up Sat morning would post your trail choice so we can be ready.

BTW, we're lining up at 8:00 and want to leave around 8:30.

You guys have a safe drive up,

Goatman said:
There are only a couple of what you might call buggy trails. Other than those couple, we have run everything out there in full bodied XJ's, many times. The issue is strong enough axles and not being too concerned about body damage.

Clawhammer is not an easy trail, it is full on rockcrawling, it just doesn't have some of the more difficult obstacles that the other trails have, and is more open so less chance of body damage. There are plenty of optional difficult lines on Claw.

One more time, since we're going to have trail sign up sheets set out Fri night so we can plan for Sat's runs, it would help if you folks coming up Sat morning would post your trail choice so we can be ready.

BTW, we're lining up at 8:00 and want to leave around 8:30.

You guys have a safe drive up,

Thanks Richard. I didn't mean to take anything away from the other runs or mislead anyone. Thanks for your info.

As for the line-up, I am giving myself 3 hours to make the 2 hour trip! I am working on getting other folks to meet up at a certain time which should allow for plenty of travel time.

See you all on Sat!

Back