• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE cost

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
I have 3" right now on my 2000 cherokee w/ 1" TC drop.

Obviously as many of us know, I may or may not need an SYE at 4.5".

I'm planning on going up to 4.5" but would like to know just how much it would cost me for an SYE kit (If I did it myself, and if i paid a shop ex. Carolina Rock Shop, to do it).

oh, and let me know of the various places to get an SYE kit also. I only know of a couple. Thanks.

I just got my SYE from PORC for about $160. It was one of the cheapest I could find about a month ago besides hack and tap.

so do i absolutely need a new driveshaft if i get an SYE?

ty20404 said:
Yes, that is the whole point of the SYE - to put in a new driveshaft with a double cardan (also called CV) joint.
I used the Hack N Tap on my 242. HnT was $90. Front DS was $20 from the junkyard. Problem solved for $110.

ty20404 said:
Yes your t-case originally has a long splined output shaft that interfaces with the slip yoke on your stock driveshaft providing adjustability in length of the DS. An SYE changes that output shaft to a bigger but shorter version with a yoke at the end to accept a u-joint. This means that the DS needs to include a slip yoke becuase the SYE eliminated the one at the t-case output shaft, and needs a u-joint at both ends to interface with your t-case yoke and pinion yoke. The stock rear driveshaft has neither of these but the front one does. Just look at some pictures of stock shafts and aftermarket CV shafts and you will see the difference and why you cant use your stock rear DS.

Yes, get a used front driveshaft from any Cherokee with an auto tranny and you are set. You will also need a flange to connect the SYE and the driveshaft. You need spicer part #211229x from shaftmasters.com for $63 shipped.

Parts needed:
SYE - $85 from Rubicon Express
Front DS (used as a rear DS) - $20 from junkyard
Spicer 211229x from shaftmasters.com - $63. You can also get these from early 80's Ford vehicles at a junkyard

My buddy has an 89 xj with dana 35 rear (auto). I know the porc sye will work on his but will a front shaft from an auto xj work back there with the 35?

so if i wanted to put a SYE on my np231 on my 97 jeep all i would need is the SYE kit and an old front driveshaft? theres no cuttin' or weldin? just bolts right up?

userbmx1315 said:
so if i wanted to put a SYE on my np231 on my 97 jeep all i would need is the SYE kit and an old front driveshaft? theres no cuttin' or weldin? just bolts right up?
Yes, but you have to take apart your t-case to install a normal SYE kit (replace the mainshaft and tail housing as well as a few other small parts). This is also assuming you did NOT get the hack-n-tap SYE. With this kit a front driveshaft will directly bolt up.

With the hack-n-tap you have to cut your mainshaft perfectly square and drill and tap a hole in the end to attach the supplied flange. This means you need to get a flange to yoke adapter to attach a front DS:
the_weirdo said:
You will also need a flange to connect the SYE and the driveshaft. You need spicer part #211229x from shaftmasters.com for $63 shipped.
As Yucca-Man mentions on his page, this kit also opens up the door for balance problems in the flange and output shaft if it is not cut properly.

one of the reasons to do a hack-n-tap is how easy it is to do yourself in your garage or driveway. With the PORC and other sye kits, you have to disassemble the T-case to install, which, if not mechanically inclined, can prove a little tricky. Lots of people have used the h&t on built rigs with no problem.

I have been trying to find out if a stock front DS will bolt directly to a SYE (not a HnT) ....so you have stated it will bolt up to the PORC but what about the Omix Aida SYE or any other full SYE???? Is there a writeup for this or any pix?

I have been trying to find out if a stock front DS will bolt directly to a SYE (not a HnT) ....so you have stated it will bolt up to the PORC but what about the Omix Aida SYE or any other full SYE???? Is there a writeup for this or any pix?
I have a 2000 4.0l Auto NP231, and 8.25 rear....what year front DS will I need?

Back