• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep will not start

idahoduk

NAXJA Forum User
Only starts when jumped, new battery.

I'm going insane trying to figure this out. First I thought my battery was being drained. I put my fluke on it and everything was fine. I had my battery charged (from being absolutly dead) and the shop said it tested fine. I put my suposibly good battery in my jeep and everything lit up but it woudn't start. I finally got it started by jumping it with my car. I just bought a new battery thinking that the old one wasn't putting out enough amerage and it still won't start. Just a crazy clicking/grinding noise (starter selanoid?). What it boils down to is that my alternator seems to be good since I can drive it for at least 3 hours, the battery is good, the cables are brand new, but I have to jump it to get the thing started. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Last edited:
Does it start every time when you jump it off???
You said you have new cables on the bat??? Recheck your cables make sure you have a good ground to the frame and a good connection. Both positive and negetive. Start simple then go from there.

x2^ I would pull the cables at the battery and clean them. Then, follow them to the next connection and do the same, and continue until you reach the starter and engine block connections. Pull and clean the ground and remove the starter. Clean the starter mounting points (ground for it) and clean the two connections to the starter. While it's off, have it bench tested to verify it's not drawing too mucs current as this can sometimes be overcome by two batteries and only present a problem whithout the second battery.

--Shorty

Back