• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 with oddball problem

The_Evil_Jag_Tech

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, whats been happening is the it started with when ever i would go around a left hand turn at around 1/4 tank of fuel or go from stoplight it would cutout and then start going again. Now as long as i kept it above that no problem.
So went to NY for my moms surprise B-Day party (400 miles) no problems on way up. worked fine all weekend. On way back fuel was getting alittle low 1/3 a tank, so i filled up (100 miles into trip back). Then the fun started, after 20 miles in the hills at 75+ it starts spitting and cutting out on me. I was able to limp it 45 miles to the next big town. I can hear the fuel pump change pitch as the truck starts to spit.
Call my Dad and ask him to get a fuel pump and tools and bring to PA. 3 hours later, he gets here start truck and still runs like crap. 1 1/2 hours after that of changing a fuel pump in a parking lot with a nearly full tank. truck runs good again. get all the way back to MD and have 1/2 tank of gas and the truck starts with the same thing, just not as bad and i made to my place.

Notes: the new fuel pump did not come with new fitlers
Truck has 195134 miles on it
It is a 5speed 4.0
plugs,cap,rotor,wires are all good
does not throw codes
if sputtering, can put in nutrel and truck does not die
I have 12years of exparnce working on cars(this problems got me though) so i do understand technical speak.

What pressure are you measureing on the fuel rail when it's acting up? Could be that the fuel pump relay is starting to cut out due to wear & pitted contacts. That could explain the change of pitch you heard from the pump.

RD

The_Evil_Jag_Tech said:
i'll have to get back to you on that one when i get the truck to my dealer. tell you what i find tommarrow

more like you'll tell us what THEY find out. let us know how much they're gonna charge ya.

Back