• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Advice for Build up

I am a Soldier curently serving in IRAQ. My wife bought me a 2001 Sport 4 door. I am very excited about trail riding again once I return to the States. I have big plans for this Jeep and want it to be a great trail rig but also be able to be driven on the street. Here are a list of some things I am wanting to do..1. 8" lift from Rusty's 2. 35" Tires3. A locker in the front and rear although I really do not want an ARB4. Offroad Front and Rear Bumpers5. Possible Roof Rack6. Trail Jammer kit7. Gears to match tire size.The Jeep has a D30 in Front and a D35 in the rear. My wife says I can do anything I want as long as I make it still Look Good in her eyes. I would appriciate any advice I can get. This will be my second trail rig but my First JEEP!

i say go with 6" lift and 33's, go with clayton, tnt or fulltraction, ditch the D35, toss in a 8.25 D44 or 8.8, as far as gears 4.56's will do fine

I really want to go with the 8" just to stick out in a crowd and I used to own a Dodge Ram that had 12" and 39" tires so i am used to being up high. I am deff considering swaping out the d35 for a D44 but i am also thinking of chrome molly axles..

Consider swapping the front to a HP D30 too. the 01s came with a LP D30, and if you lift it 8", you might get some bad driveline vibes up front....You will definitely need an SYE and new rear driveshaft (Tom Woods?). Also, you'll need to redo your trackbar setup, and definitely redo your steering, maybe even a new steering box. Going to 35s with 8" of lift is a huge step and involves changing a lot more than 6 inches and 33s.

You'll hear a lot of people say to stay away from Rusty's....

X2 Be sure to check out Full Traction, TNT Customs Y Link or Clayton...

Come home safe...

In what models can I find an HP30. Rusty's has a HD Trac bar kit as well as selling a SYE kit with a new drive shaft. They also have a new steering set up that i was wanting to get as well. What is wrong with Rusty's stuff? They seem to specialize in XJ's.

bbryant9415 said:
In what models can I find an HP30. Rusty's has a HD Trac bar kit as well as selling a SYE kit with a new drive shaft. They also have a new steering set up that i was wanting to get as well. What is wrong with Rusty's stuff? They seem to specialize in XJ's.
his stuff is poor quality, ive known 2 peaple personally who have had problems with his trackbar, if ya really want 8" go with claytons kit, heck if ya really want to stick out in a crowd upgrade to his rear coil comvertion, and as JNickel101 said upgrade to a HP 30, get one from a 91-99XJ toss in some alloy shafts and 4.88 gears and have fun, should be fine with 35's

JNickel101What steering box would you recomend? I have had problems with steering boxes before with my old truck. I snaped the output shaft clean off of the box. It was not a fun fix so I know the importance of a strong steering setup when using bigger tires.Thanks and I am getting closer every day.

rusty's is always a matter of personal preference

frankly, i've never had any problems as far as fit/performance/customer service

but anyway, some will say good, some say bad...just do everything right and keep the hammer down

good luck

They are 90% hate, about 10% love, if you read on here....their shipping is terrible, customer service is terrible, and their stuff just isnt the best quality...

The HP30 can be found on any year before 00. I would go for a 95-99 as they have the larger U-joints.

In the end, its your call, but I'd do a search and read what people have to say about Rusty's Offroad....

and this should cue the rusty's haters to being posting.......

You can go with a new steering box (aftermarket) or some people do a Durango swap, IIRC (If I Remember Correctly)...

X3 (add 2 more broken rusty's trackbars to the list)

I guess I should be the one to ask what kind of wheeling you are wanting to do? Mud, rocks, trails, pre-running, mall crawler? That will better determine which lift to get, etc....

Thanks for the advice ROBZ95Xj. I will deff have to do some research on claytons kit. I am not a fan of poor quality and can't stand a suspension break on the trail. If I do not swap the front axle will it be able to handle the 35's with some alloy shafts? Also how does the rear axle hold up to bigger rubber?

A lot depends on how you drive...if you are easy with the skinny pedal, then you'll be fine with a D30...the problem with the D30 that your rig has now is that its Low Pinion, so once you get it lifted to 8 inches, you might have a hard time dialing in your pinion angle/caster in order to reduce your vibrations....with the High Pinion version of the D30, you wont have as much of a problem.

The D35 is the weakest rear axle made for an XJ. Again, some people get away with 35s on a D35, but its all about how and what you wheel.

bbryant9415 said:
Thanks for the advice ROBZ95Xj. I will deff have to do some research on claytons kit. I am not a fan of poor quality and can't stand a suspension break on the trail. If I do not swap the front axle will it be able to handle the 35's with some alloy shafts? Also how does the rear axle hold up to bigger rubber?
you should be fine wth alloys and 35's i friend of mine is running 36" iroks on his 30 and is not easy on it, he loves the revlimiter, as far and the D35, i blew up mine on the street with stock tires, look into swapping in a D44 or explorer 8.8

What about lockers? What brand and type? Is there any way to make the D35 stronger other than alloy shafts? I am sorry for all the questions but I want to build a rig that will last and not fall apart after 2 trips to the trail.

dont drop a single cent into the D35, everything about it is weak, just look into a Dana 44 or explorer 8.8 swap, as far as lockers i say aussie or lockrite in frt, and aussie outback if ya got a auto trans if ya got a stick then go selectable locker like a arb

What year explorer would i find a 8.8 that would be a match?
I have heard goo things about aussie on this site.
If I replace the current axles under the jeep will i need to do any modifications to the brakes or can I just drop them in place?

Back