• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keeping water out of my homemade snorkel?

TortureTested

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished my homemade snorkel and i realized that if it rains, water can get i and it will have no where to go. Does anyone have any clean ideas on this? My best guess would be to drill some holes in the bottom of the tube thats running parallel with the fender. Anyone?

TortureTested said:
I just finished my homemade snorkel and i realized that if it rains, water can get i and it will have no where to go. Does anyone have any clean ideas on this? My best guess would be to drill some holes in the bottom of the tube thats running parallel with the fender. Anyone?

Nope. All you're doing at that point is lowering the highest point of the intake to somewhere back around stock. While water may be able to drain out, air will also be able to be sucked in from there - limiting the ability of the pipe to drain in the process. Most snorkels have a 90-degree bend at the top jutting out from the top of the downpipe and pointing forward for this purpose. Turn it to suck air in from the rear when it rains; point it forward when it's fair.

Dependng on how you've done your snorkel, it may be possible to install a valve to let you switch between the airbox and the snorkel depending on the weather - at least a couple of folks have done this. Sorry, but I don't know what search terms to give you.

Last edited:
TortureTested said:

since we can't imagine what you build, it would help if you post pictures of your project. and if you would do some research on google for the ARB snorkel or whatever the other ones are called, then you could maybe try to copy their ideas.

either that or do a search on here for "snorkel" before somebody starts yelling at you to search.

I believe the stock airbox has a small hole on the unfiltered side at the bottom to drain off what little water can get in there if it rains. You could do something similar and maybe put a rubber flap over the bottom of the hole to keep water from seeping in if the airbox gets submerged.

Back