• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ affraid of the water...

EMSJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Puddles = belt squeal ever since I got the truck, and splash would cause horrible squeal, voltage drop to about 10vdc and nearly stall the car. After reading some similiar posts I thought I might set about tightening the belt and buying a gauge (which is on order and due in tomorrow morning). Because I have never actaully had the opportunity to see the problem, as I am always driving, I thought I might simulate a puddle. After running the garden hose under the hood and starting the car I got the normal squeal and voltage drop for a while, it then subsided and everything ran normally at idle. When I had a buddy run up the RPMs with the water on (over the A/C compresser Alternator area) the serpentine belt stopped turning all together, and I got voltage drop to 12vdc but no squeal and if the hood wasn't open I never would have known a thing was wrong. With the water off (and the hood closed) I pulled out of the driveway and bang, no power steering...then the normal squeal voltage drop to ~10vdc for about 30 seconds, then back to normal. Does this sound like a loose belt, poor alternator, power steering pulley issue? Any help is appreciated.
-Alex

Verry verry verry loose belt... sounds like the last mechanic/owner used the finger method and the 'seems tight'....

safest bet is to replace the belt with a new one (oem or gatorbacks) and tighten it down until you can't turn it past 90 degress. i use that method as an estimate but also have a kricket 2 guage.

Tighten the belt.

Do you have the soft rubber shield under the front of the engine compartment? On most XJs, they are either torn and hanging down or have been ripped off. My truck used to do squeal, I'd lose the power steering for a few seconds and the volts would drop if I hit a big enough puddle. Replacing that splash shield solved that problem.

I actually still have my splash shield, I have tacked it up with tech screws and fender washers several times...it doesn't help.

I'm going to get my gauge and tighten the belt today. Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

At this point, if your belt has been doing this for a while, I would say the belt is toast and to buy a new one. Gatorbacks run about $37 at checker or like parts store. My splash shield is long gone. If the belt is tight enough, water should not make a difference.

Belt replaced and tightened...passed the garden hose test, I'll see how it fares next time it rains. Thanks for the input. (I just had the belt "tightened" by my mechanic not too many thousands of miles ago. I measured it at 90 today. I would have hoped the finger method wouldn't fly for the pro's. Oh well):guitar:

I posted this several times, got in to a discussion with one of my customer/friends who I work with every once in while and I get to use the lifts, tire machines, etc. He happened to have 3 4.0 jeeps that they replaced belts and water pumps on, we checked all three of them, him by the finger n twist method and me with my krikitt, all three were between 80 and 100lbs...He's got tension gauges in all the tool boxes now in all 6 bays...

Back