• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No power at WOT

geoff98xj

NAXJA Forum User
Did something stupid over the weekend and that was to enter into a mud bog race. Started off great but about 2/3rds down the track I lost most of my power.
After I finished (yes I made it through, although very slowly) I noticed my alternator wasn't charging anymore. Tried making it to the nearest town but it ended up overheating and I had to shut it down. I did notice while driving that if I gave it part throttle the jeep ran fine and seemed to have enough power but as soon as I gave it more throttle it refused to go any faster. I also noticed that when it is revved up that it sounds "different" .... like an electric fan almost.
There is no misfiring or backfiring ... just no power.
This is a 98 cherokee, 4.0, aw4, 231

Most likely the thermal shock to the CAT fractured the matrix and it is now plugged. That explains getting hot and no top end. The alternator is a different story. They just don't like mud.

Back