• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

restore or junk?

rag

NAXJA Forum User
white 1989 base model xj

keep in mind, my philosophy is capability and function WAY before fashion and apearance.

she runs great

very minor rust on floors, small specs here and there in the hatch and rockers.

heres my dilema; i took a wirewheel to get to a tiny patch of rust. then i moved the wirewheel slightly down only to discover about 1/4" if not more bondo. under it all i see is uneven metal. this was on the rear quarter panel.

this is my first vehicle i have ever owned and is my current daily driver.

i have a soft spot for this truck, even though i give it absolute hell on the trails.

my current options i have considered:

-strip entire truck and have the thing blasted then just paint the whole thing in something durable yet cheap (rustoleum, bedliner, etc. no pro paint job)

-drive it as it is and forget about finding what is truely under all that bondo.

-offroad only toy

-partout/partstruck

ballpart range how much would it be to sandblast a cherokee? or as close to 100% of a cherokee atleast.

i can do absolutely anything to this truck with my equipment exept blast it myself or weld something myself.

i want some second opinions on this matter.

rag said:
white 1989 base model xj

keep in mind, my philosophy is capability and function WAY before fashion and apearance.

she runs great

very minor rust on floors, small specs here and there in the hatch and rockers.

heres my dilema; i took a wirewheel to get to a tiny patch of rust. then i moved the wirewheel slightly down only to discover about 1/4" if not more bondo. under it all i see is uneven metal. this was on the rear quarter panel.

this is my first vehicle i have ever owned and is my current daily driver.

i have a soft spot for this truck, even though i give it absolute hell on the trails.

my current options i have considered:

-strip entire truck and have the thing blasted then just paint the whole thing in something durable yet cheap (rustoleum, bedliner, etc. no pro paint job)

-drive it as it is and forget about finding what is truely under all that bondo.

-offroad only toy

-partout/partstruck

ballpart range how much would it be to sandblast a cherokee? or as close to 100% of a cherokee atleast.

i can do absolutely anything to this truck with my equipment exept blast it myself or weld something myself.

i want some second opinions on this matter.

If you're not worried about the appearance, I don't see what the problem is. Drive it the way it is and save for a newer vehicle, and make a trip to the south and get one "rust free".

If you have rust on the hatch, something is very wrong. Fiberglass does not rust!

If it runs fine and is your daily driver leave it alone. Just don't put any more money into it other than basic maintenance, and save up your pennies for a new purchase. Prices on XJ's are falling like a rock as of late, so soon you should be able to get a late 90's model in great shape for just a couple thousand.

Something that has to be said for a daily driver, and it's that you can never keep them in perfect shape despite your best efforts. I've had mine for only a couple of years, and in that time I've gone through two windshields, seen the paint get all chipped up by flying rocks (on the freeway, not the trail), had several digbats hit me with their doors, drove over some wet yellow road paint that splattered all over the underside and lower panels, had passengers spill their food inside, had the radio stolen and the prick ripping out the harness while he was at it, and last but not least slid on rainy-oily asphalt once and bumped another vehicle. And to think I'm anal retentive about keeping my things looking like new! So don't waste lots of time and money trying to make yours look perfect again. Look at its battle scars with pride and just keep it running.

Last edited:
I would drive it as is, with minor rust stop primer coating work to slow the rust and shop for another daily driver, or a minor project that can easily become a daily driver. Then you can take the time to stip down your prize XJ and see what the frame & body really look like.

People have restored 50 year old rust buckets that were more rust than steel, so if it is a keepsake then plan it out. I am not convinced sand blasting is the only way, or best way to go (I am an expert on that topic). I tend to prefer vibratory / buffer style sanding and wire wheels and I use the rust neutralizing coatings that chemically convert rust into a polymer primer coat that can be sanded and top coated. On heavy rust, like large holes I like to use steel wire mesh screen and SS rivets covered with fiberglass. I am not a welder, so I typically avoid the cut and replace with new metal welding method, but I suspect I am odd duck when it comes to that in this group. Many of the others here gust tear it appart, cut out the cancer and weld in entire near floors for instance. Of course I live in the south, not too close to the coast, so rust is not as bad here. I have an 85 with just the biginings a few small rust problems, floor, that seem to be rusting from the inside out!

Back